Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can I make my son not hate black people?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies

A year or so ago a black kid hurt my son really badly. My son had to go to urgent care and his wound glued shut. My son has a scar on his eye brow now. Now my son hates black people. I have told him like a broken record there is ugly in every race and yet he still hates black people. Someone help me. I do not want my son to feel this way for the rest of his life. I was beat by a group of black people but I have no hard feelings at all. No I am not a troll btw.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:14 AM

Expose him to black people. How old is he?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM

My son is 13. Should I take him to a all black church. Color does not a person bad, a person makes a person bad. Should I take him to counseling? I really do not want to raise a racist child. My son was so mad when it happened while I cannot blame him for being angry. However I do not believe in disliking a race because of this.

Quoting ShellLea:

want10more
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:19 AM

hmmmmm. that's a hard one. i don't blame him at all. he's lil, he's not a racist. i think just keep telling him that only THAT rotten kid was rotten. and other kids of that color are really very nice. maybe say, hey it's not his COLOR that made him do that it's his MOM AND DAD? anyway, poor baby. i think as he gets older, he'll find that out by himself, that black, white or purple, some people are nasty and some are not........

Yellow_Lileigh
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:20 AM
You mentioned counseling and if your efforts are ineffective I think that would be a good idea.
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Well then his reaction is pretty immature for his age. I thought he was going to be much younger. I wouldn't take him to a black church unless you have one you are familiar with, with friends who would understand what's going on if he behaves badly. I would start with counseling. As for exposing him, do you not have any black friends? 

Quoting Anonymous:

My son is 13. Should I take him to a all black church. Color does not a person bad, a person makes a person bad. Should I take him to counseling? I really do not want to raise a racist child. My son was so mad when it happened while I cannot blame him for being angry. However I do not believe in disliking a race because of this.

Quoting ShellLea:

chunkyhoney78
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I think some counseling might be the best option right now. hopefully over time he will move past this and learn that we may have differences but all bleed red.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:22 AM

My dad is racist and I hate it. I completely disagree with not liking one race. I really think this dislike will turn to fear over black people and that in my opinion is unhealthy on so many levels.

Quoting Yellow_Lileigh: You mentioned counseling and if your efforts are effective I think that would be a good idea.

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:25 AM
3 moms liked this
This. @ 13 he should know that there are bad people in all races. How much contact does he have with your racist dad? Is he telling him things when you're not around?

Quoting Yellow_Lileigh: You mentioned counseling and if your efforts are effective I think that would be a good idea.
Yellow_Lileigh
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:26 AM
I agree it would not be at all healthy. And addressing it sooner rather than later is key. Also, the black church thing isn't a bad idea in my opinion. If you found a pastor of a predominantly black church and met with him/her to explain your dilemma and ask for help or advice I think that might be a helpful approach.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dad is racist and I hate it. I completely disagree with not liking one race. I really think this dislike will turn to fear over black people and that in my opinion is unhealthy on so many levels.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 5:27 AM
He'll probably have these feelings for a while. Just keep talking to him and letting him know that his feelings are validated. But to hate/fear an entire race of people is wrong and unhealthy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)