Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I Don't Believe ADHD is an epidemic

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM
  • 258 Replies
9 moms liked this

I'm not qualified to say ADHD isn't real, but I do have some skepticisms. I read a longitudinal study that 80% of children diagnosed with ADHD and medicated were later diagnosed with depression as adults. Gee, I wonder why? Because the ADHD meds are powerful drugs you are giving to children as young as three!!! The chemical compounds of Concerta create a neuro-stimulant (to make you "focus") and a muscle relaxant (so you don't fidget). When you start anaesthetizing a child at three, don't be surprised when they are depressed by fifteen! Also, on this rant, why the hell are young children being diagnosed with ADHD? You sit them in front of 8 hours of BORING stuff at school. I'd fidget too! And I did!

I'm just saying, try working with a kid before you medicate just to make your life easier than having an energetic child.

by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:55 AM
4 moms liked this
Stfu op...adhd is real. My ds's special ed teacher said my ds was the WORST case od adhd he had ever been around in his entire career and he's been medicated since he was 3. If he wasn't medicated he would've never been able to learn anything in school.
Ginger0104
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not disagreeing that ADHD is overdiagnosed, but it's also a lot more than the inability to sit still.  And no, I don't have medicated ADHD kids. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
We worked with my daughter before turning to meds. We limited tv time, changed her diet, etc. In the end she takes a med. Her energy isn't what made me seek help either.
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
7 moms liked this
There is a huge difference between fidgeting and ADD/ADHD. You should probably understand that befor you start spouting off.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
7 moms liked this
I agree with you 100%!
We are the minority though. People just don't let kids be kids any more. And a lot of things are related to diet.
Kids aren't meant to sit for hours at a time. They need to fidget and run and play. They need to learn, and the adult a in their life need to learn what's age appropriate and not have unrealistic expectations. Not overload their bodies with chemicals for normal childhood behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom-to-2kids
by Emerald Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM
8 moms liked this
Eh, opinions are like assholes...my son CANT be medicated for his ADHD and yea, it sucks ass. You want to come work with him? Maybe you can save me $250 a month on therapist visits since clearly it's not working for him.
suzanneyea
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM
4 moms liked this

I agree with you. I have an 11 year old boy. Getting him to focus is near impossible. Homework is a nightmare. But, that is pretty typical for an 11 year old. We will get him through this phase of life and he will come out with coping skills, not a dependency on drugs.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Quoting Kaelaasmom: There is a huge difference between fidgeting and ADD/ADHD. You should probably understand that befor you start spouting off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:06 AM
A co-worker I know has adhd. She acts bipolar sometimes. One moment happy and wants to sleep with other men at work. Next she's like 'fuck off.'
xXBonneMamanXx
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:06 AM
5 moms liked this

How do you know that? Of he's been medicated since he was three, he didn't get a chance to try school without meds. And ADHD doesn't effect your neural capacity (ability to learn).

Quoting Anonymous: Stfu op...adhd is real. My ds's special ed teacher said my ds was the WORST case od adhd he had ever been around in his entire career and he's been medicated since he was 3. If he wasn't medicated he would've never been able to learn anything in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN