Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel like a horrible mother for wanting to stop Breastfeeding, but dh keeps insisting!

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM
  • 43 Replies

Our son is 13 months old, going on 14 in a couple weeks.  He eats table food.  Heck, this kid eats everything, lol!  He LOVES food, and he's a healthy boy--weighing 26 pounds and 31" tall.  Bit of a chunkers, but he's active as heck and is a very healthy boy.

He also breastfeeds as as well as drinking milk, juice (cut with water), water, gatorade (cut with water), etc...  I'm ready to stop the feedings.  He has 4 teeth, and my nipples are so tender these days, and he's starting to hurt me.  Everytime I mention to my husband that my son will cry a little louder/longer at bedtime because I'm going to attempt to not feed him to sleep, he always makes these comments like, "Well, he's not feeling good" or "But it helps him sleep so well".  And it drives me crazy because the daycare girls, my mother, my mother-in-law can ALL get him to sleep, and obviously they don't breastfeed him to sleep!

I just want to quit.  I'm tired of the pain, I'm tired of feeling like a milking cow, and I'm tired of being guilted back into it because he doesn't like to hear our son cry.

(side note: ds HATES falling asleep.  He will fight it tooth and nail, every time.  he has never once just fallen asleep, not for us, not for anyone.  They all have their secret techniques to get him to sleep)

I"m at a loss!  Do I continue feeding and just deal with it all?  Do I tell dh to screw off and let our son cry himself to sleep (doesn't like pacifiers, doesn't have a lovie, seriously just hates sleep!)?  

Edit:  I did try tonight, as dh is out with friends (rare occasion so I enjoy the evenings alone, hah!).  Ds was in hysterics!  Shaky breath, unable to focus on anything, coughing, beat-red in the face.  Tried different tactics, but Finally gave in.  He was out in less than 3 minutes.   *sigh  It just breaks my heart that he's THAT hooked on it!

by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Stop when it becomes a chore then its time to quit. Have DH start putting him to bed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Then stop. I have a feeling your dh is telling you to continue for selfish reasons like he doesn't want to deal with a fussy child.
mrsmoonbeam
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM
This exactly. Your DH needs to man up put his big boy drawers on

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Stop when it becomes a chore then its time to quit. Have DH start putting him to bed.

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM

i stopped nursing mine for a lot of the same reasons. he was seventeen months, and it really felt like we were done. if you feel like it's time to quit, it's time to quit.

if he hates going to sleep, obviously nursing him isn't going to help THAT much. so if it's time, then just do it.

took mine i think two or three nights to be completely over it. i cut his nap time nursing first, then a couple of months later put him to bed with just a cup of water (like the older two). he wanted to nurse while i read their story, but i just held him on my lap. he's fine now, and he's twenty months.

good luck!

kikibix
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Your dh has no say in this at this point at all.  It hurts you, it takes up your time.  I think you need to start leaving the house at bedtime and let dh deal with it for a week in a row and the habit will be broken.  It's gone on far too long as it is, feeding to sleep is something that shouldn't be happening past infancy to begin with nevermind when teeth - that need brushing, are involved.  He should be able to settle himself to sleep by now.  Establish a new routine, bath, teeth, pj's and then a storybook or 2 and then to bed.  Be firm and don't give in.

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Then stop! Your body, your choice!!
When your husband is the one nursing, he can make the calls.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I pushed through even though I wanted to stop until all my kids turned 2, just because that's the minimum  that is recommended you stop at. I'd say push through...

however this is your choice and you have to do what you feel is right for you and your child. 

Good luck on this

KennyPooPoo22
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Have someone else put him to bed, your dh can do it. If he refuses than he'll just get to hear ds cry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Have you tried putting him down with a cup?
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:38 PM
I stopped at 15 months because my oldest was a biter

Tell your husband to get over it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN