Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Powerful anti-obesity PSA, might be upsetting for some folks

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM
  • 16 Replies

"As someone who is overweight (working on it, have lost considerable weight) and an MD, obesity is a very, very personal and important topic for me.

I have seen time and time again obese patients crash in the hospital. Obesity is perhaps one of the worst comorbidities to have for a hospital patient. It complicates everything. Every. Single. Thing. From inserting lines, to getting scanned, to being active to avoid clot formation, to being able to breathe properly while lying down. Obesity hinders both yourself and others from providing an optimal environment for recovery. I have seen obese patients in their 20s die suddenly from embolisms, or stay in the hospital for much, much longer than they should've stayed because the weight prolongs the healing process. And the longer the stay in the hospital, the more prone they are to developing pneumonia, clots, etc.

And while I do understand that these patients are responsible for their conditions, I cannot help but feel empathetic when I look back at my own history. Much like the child in the video, I was fed terrible food from a young age, was not encouraged to be active, had no concept of what it meant to be a normal healthy person. I've been fat since about the age of 10. It's all you know. Then you grow, you get into high school, you see others more active, skinnier, more attractive, more social, and you often learn to cope by hiding under layers of humor or bullying. You'd like to be like these other kids, but you don't know how, and you don't have the support system to get you there. You go to college, you realize just how important it is to be a healthy individual, you may develop depression, and the cycle continues. So I feel for many of these people. Their weight issues are psychological as much as they are physical.

I think here in the US we do not emphasize the importance of obesity prevention. I often wonder why we don't have community weight loss centers where people can seek nutrition and exercise advice. Or why we don't give our children proper nutrition education that doesn't just consist of the food pyramid. Measures that can help counteract the toxic environments many children are raised in at home.

That's not to say that each and every one of us is not responsible for our health. Of course we are. But our attitudes, our habits and behaviors, are due to influences that are multifactorial, both internal and external, and there should be efforts to address all of them."   -lastandtheleast

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slb235
by Grammar Police on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Where are you and your fat children tonight?

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Ads like that don't work.

Same with ads on cigarette cartons.

Everyone knows they could die, no one thinks they will die.
slb235
by Grammar Police on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:20 AM

They aren't completely ineffective.

Did you watch the video?  It isn't targeted to overweight people.  It's targeted to parents.

Quoting Retrokitty: Ads like that don't work. Same with ads on cigarette cartons. Everyone knows they could die, no one thinks they will die.

booaura
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:24 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree. I'm a nurse, I worked in the ER for three years. It is almost impossible to establish any kind of intravenous access on the obese. Performing CPR is incredibly hard, as is intubating them. Caring for an obese individual is a strain on everyone, from having to move them/roll them, the special bariatric equipment we need and the additional space that takes up, to the health problems they're prone to. So many people are more worried about being accepted for their looks, about making fat fluffy and ok, that we've forgotten just what obesity means and does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Prevention can be effective when it's done right. When you have 5% of funds going to prevention (if that) and 95% going to treatment it's often not very effective.

Ads like this aren't much of a detterant. People have cognitive biases and will justify their actions. They may help some people, but chances are they already know and want to change anyway.

Quoting slb235:

Did you watch the video?  It isn't targeted to overweight people.  It's targeted to parents.

Quoting Retrokitty: Ads like that don't work.

Same with ads on cigarette cartons.

Everyone knows they could die, no one thinks they will die.

funnymommy71
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM

OMG, ageed.  My Dad had a quadruple heart bypass 3 months ago. They said his major plus was that he was in great health ( stopped smoking in his 20's) and was physically fit for a man of 72- Swedish genes. And the heart itself was i great shape- a new lease on life.  Overweight but not by much and is doing well now!!!  What a role model!!! 

Quoting booaura: I agree. I'm a nurse, I worked in the ER for three years. It is almost impossible to establish any kind of intravenous access on the obese. Performing CPR is incredibly hard, as is intubating them. Caring for an obese individual is a strain on everyone, from having to move them/roll them, the special bariatric equipment we need and the additional space that takes up, to the health problems they're prone to. So many people are more worried about being accepted for their looks, about making fat fluffy and ok, that we've forgotten just what obesity means and does.

slb235
by Grammar Police on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM

What if this reaches 5% of people and influences them?

Quoting Retrokitty: Prevention can be effective when it's done right. When you have 5% of funds going to prevention (if that) and 95% going to treatment it's often not very effective. Ads like this aren't much of a detterant. People have cognitive biases and will justify their actions. They may help some people, but chances are they already know and want to change anyway.
Quoting slb235:

Quoting Retrokitty: Ads like that don't work. Same with ads on cigarette cartons. Everyone knows they could die, no one thinks they will die.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:39 AM
I don't know that this type of advertising will be effective. Then again obesity is not something that I personally have had to deal with. I once had a conversation with a mom of an eleven month old boy who was clearly overweight. There was no baby fat about it. I sat and got to talking to her as our boys played. The kid outweighed my three year old. She said she couldn't get him to eat anything besides chicken nuggets and French fries. I was dumbfounded.
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
My fat kids are sleeping. I let them eat whatever they want other than one hour before they eat dinner they have to stop snacking...

Wait. Food doesn't make them fat. My son is on the cross country team and runs 3 miles a day. He's 5 ft 6 and 119 pounds at 15.
My daughter is a dancer and just got back from an intensive camp where she danced pointe ballet for 6 hours a day. 5 ft 4 and 98 pounds of solid muscle. Food is fuel in our house. The kids need it because they burn it.

Quoting slb235:

Where are you and your fat children tonight?

Tranquil_Octopi
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:43 AM

I can see this.There is a point to it. I don't mind giving my kids "treats"  but I make sure they eat healthier and are active. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)