Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone here with epilepsy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

Just curious & I have a question.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by squeekers on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:20 AM
DH has dealt with Epi for 31 yrs. i've been married to him 25 yrs, so I know almost as much. What's your question?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in my early 20's due to a brain tumor. I had the tumor removed & slowly went off anti-seizure meds. I'm now 35 & have been seizure free for 4 years off medication. The surgery worked. I've been a stay at home mom for the past 3 years & just decided to get back to work. What do you think happened my first week back? I had a seizure (right in front of my boss). I wasn't officially hired yet, this was just a trial period for training & to see if it would work out. Now my boss doesn't want to hire me because he thinks I'm a liability. What do you think of that?

Quoting squeekers: DH has dealt with Epi for 31 yrs. i've been married to him 25 yrs, so I know almost as much. What's your question?

squeekers
by squeekers on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:03 AM
I'm asking DH and this is what he says: " at 16 i was diagnosed with Epilpsy because i was born with too much grey matter on one side of my brain. It didn't affect me until I was 16. This is a lifetime deal with me. I have been thru so many jobs because i was a 'liabitity' because at one point or another i've had a seizure at work. In my opinion, he says, is a stigma because there are those who are uneducated & afraid.
There are employers/companies out there who will not hire you or will fire you because of race, color, creed, or medical condition but wont tell you that's the reason. I have been lucky enough to have some jobs that have other employees with Epilepsy.
Education about Epilepsy is not out there as much as it should be. There are people out there who are dead set in the believe that Epilepsy is a disease, not a medical condition. These are the same people who believe the world is flat.
In my experience, yes you could fight for the job but they could say they aren't hiring for reasons other than epilepsy. It may not be right, it may not be legal but odds are they'll do it anyway." He says he hopes this might help you, by letting you know you arent the only one to be turned down because of Epilepsy. If they can't hire you with it, maybe the job's not worth it.
DH would like to know your opinion of what I quoted from him because this is a strong topic of his & he tends to get up on his soap box.
(I apologize for any typos, i'm on the ipod playing stenographer.)

Quoting Anonymous:

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in my early 20's due to a brain tumor. I had the tumor removed & slowly went off anti-seizure meds. I'm now 35 & have been seizure free for 4 years off medication. The surgery worked. I've been a stay at home mom for the past 3 years & just decided to get back to work. What do you think happened my first week back? I had a seizure (right in front of my boss). I wasn't officially hired yet, this was just a trial period for training & to see if it would work out. Now my boss doesn't want to hire me because he thinks I'm a liability. What do you think of that?

Quoting squeekers: DH has dealt with Epi for 31 yrs. i've been married to him 25 yrs, so I know almost as much. What's your question?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:04 AM
No. Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Thank your husband for me. The info is very helpful. I'm angry about this whole situation, I guess because I was diagnosed later in life & this is still new to me. I thought it was all behind me at this point & then "bam" I have a seizure. ugh.

Quoting squeekers: I'm asking DH and this is what he says: " at 16 i was diagnosed with Epilpsy because i was born with too much grey matter on one side of my brain. It didn't affect me until I was 16. This is a lifetime deal with me. I have been thru so many jobs because i was a 'liabitity' because at one point or another i've had a seizure at work. In my opinion, he says, is a stigma because there are those who are uneducated & afraid. There are employers/companies out there who will not hire you or will fire you because of race, color, creed, or medical condition but wont tell you that's the reason. I have been lucky enough to have some jobs that have other employees with Epilepsy. Education about Epilepsy is not out there as much as it should be. There are people out there who are dead set in the believe that Epilepsy is a disease, not a medical condition. These are the same people who believe the world is flat. In my experience, yes you could fight for the job but they could say they aren't hiring for reasons other than epilepsy. It may not be right, it may not be legal but odds are they'll do it anyway." He says he hopes this might help you, by letting you know you arent the only one to be turned down because of Epilepsy. If they can't hire you with it, maybe the job's not worth it. DH would like to know your opinion of what I quoted from him because this is a strong topic of his & he tends to get up on his soap box. (I apologize for any typos, i'm on the ipod playing stenographer.)
Quoting Anonymous:

LivingDeadGirlx
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:43 AM
I have seizures but the doctors don't know why. Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Idiopathic epilepsy is pretty common. Do you take meds?

Quoting LivingDeadGirlx: I have seizures but the doctors don't know why. Bump!

LivingDeadGirlx
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:49 AM
I take Dilantin 3x a day but still having issues :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM

How do you like the Dilantin & what are your issues. I used to take Trileptal (oxycarbazopine) 850 mgs a day. I felt like shit on them. I recently had a seizure for the first time in 4 years & I'm hesitant to go back on meds. If I do I was thinking of trying Keppra.

Quoting LivingDeadGirlx: I take Dilantin 3x a day but still having issues :/
Quoting Anonymous:

squeekers
by squeekers on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:27 AM
DH takes Dilantin, Keppra & Tegretol, daily.

Quoting LivingDeadGirlx: I take Dilantin 3x a day but still having issues :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)