Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EIC......you really think it's welfare?????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

I am a working, single mother of 4 children...2 are grown & live on their own & 2 still live at home & are in high school. My youngest has Autism. My 2 youngest children's father passed away in a car accident in Feb 2006, so they both get Survivor's Benefits from Social Security (I did not file for this after he passed away, Soc Sec sent me a letter about it), my youngest gets SSI because she is special needs & I work. My job is basically part time/seasonal, I have been there for 12 yrs & I don't make enough to really take out a lot of federal taxes. When I do my taxes & get money back from the government, it is mainly EIC. I was reading another post on here where someone said that EIC is not a refund, it's welfare. REALLY? I work....I don't sit around on my ass, living off of my kids money. I qualify for it, so I get it. What are you suppose to do? Say....'Oh...no....I don't want that!'

Hell....my sister has no kids, works & qualifies for it & gets EIC....not a lot, but she gets some. Get your facts straight! It's not welfare! It's not free!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
justinnaimee
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:28 AM
By your reasoning food stamps aren't welfare either if a person has a job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Yes it falls under that umbrella of government programs. So no, you're not really "on" welfare, but you do receive something extra because of your low income and that falls under the welfare program.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:30 AM
I'm curious how you think it's not "free". It is free. You aren't paying taxes if you get it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:32 AM
It's welfare because you receive more back in EIC than you paid in taxes through out the year. Basically you are getting you paychecks plus an annual bonus from the government.
tynkatesmom
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:33 AM

If you're getting more back than you paid in, and using services that are funded by taxpayer....you're getting welfare....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)