• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE* More graphic pics pg 2* I almost euthanized my poor baby. *Graphic pics*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I wrote a post about it the other day, but it won't let me edit for some reason. It didn't get much attention, so it's not like I'm leaving anyone hanging.

I took her in today to be put to sleep, but I made the mistake of taking ODS with me. He started crying, hard, and the vet started talking about our options. After she suggested another round of antibiotics (first round at a different vet didn't work), I had to do it for ODS' s sake. The outlook is grim, but we can't say we didn't try.

She had an abscess drained from her neck, and a piece of ulcerated tissue removed from her eye. Poor thing looks like death warmed over :(
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:34 AM
Good luck. :-(
Famousglm714
by Gina on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:34 AM
Aww, poor little thing. I hope she gets better.
sdunaway08
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:37 AM

It's amazing how attached we can get to our pets....even rats. I cried like a baby when I lost a fish from my reef. Hope the antibiotics work! Poor thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:37 AM
That is so hard having to make that call. Not to mention loosing a beloved family pet. I really hope she is able to pull through with this round of antibiotics.
If necessary maybe take dh or a friend for moral support and have the kids say their good byes at home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Hopefully. This time around it's a different medicine, and she likes the taste. I think she wasn't getting the full dose before because I had to fight her to take it. It might be too late though. The vet said the abscess was really hard, and she couldn't get it all. Full draining would require surgery, and she doesn't have the skills to do rats.

Quoting Anonymous: That is so hard having to make that call. Not to mention loosing a beloved family pet. I really hope she is able to pull through with this round of antibiotics.
If necessary maybe take dh or a friend for moral support and have the kids say their good byes at home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM
I hope it works :-( My guinea pig had something similar and the treatment seemed to work but then she died a couple of weeks later.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Eww.. I will never understand how people can have a rodent as a pet.. I kill those things on a weekly basis.

aimesnyc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:08 AM

I wouldn't lose hope yet.  We had a rabbit and a cat a few years ago.  The rabbit (male) was trying to mount the cat (female), and she bit him (he was biting her, so only natural).  He ended up with an abcess next to his eye.  It was huge, and we thought for sure we were going to lose him.  We gave him antibiotic injections every day for about a week or so, and he eventually got better.  The abcess fell off, and he was as good as new.  *HUGS*

Maime13
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Poor dear! Our last rat had an abscess on her neck/face as well. We had it drained several times but eventually it because obvious that her quality of life was being compromised and we had to put her to sleep. I hope the extra time with your fuzzy baby will give your family peace.

the.B.karma
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Aw poor thing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)