• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Pretty' girl rant (S/O of another post)

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:20 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this
I was gonna go anon with this but I slipped up, so I'm gonna own up to it instead and brave out criticism. Please note, I don't think I'm perfect, the prettiest, or the best, I only acknowledge that I'm generally pretty. And that it comes with its own set of issues.

What spurred this? Another post was referring to people's tendencies to comment "You'd be so pretty if only...", as if beauty is the bar...and all I could think was "It's not even all it's cracked up to be." Yes, this is how I really feel. I do get along with people, very well in general, so it's not a deafening issue. I think my basic point in all of this...is that being societally accepted as 'pretty' won't solve all of your issues. I find so much more gratification in love, family, hobbies, academics, socialization, debate, and my causes.

----------------
First world problem ahead. Boo hoo hoo, my life is soo hard, I know, I get it. But rant away I shall.

Sometimes it kind of sucks to be pretty.

Now don't get me wrong, I tend to maintain a positive and grateful attitude...and overall being 'pretty' isn't too actually bad.

But hear me out.

When you date someone, you either date in society's outline of 'your league' or you stand to have your self esteem, self image, motives (etc so forth) called into question. Forget dating for personality, compatibility and actual long term sustenance...you're supposed to date Prince Charming...as if Prince Charming is going to be just obviously perfect for you.

Further, as a whole it tends to attract shallow people like magnets and make your actual type treat you like you're a not their type/out of their league. Girls you get along with initially treat you with skepticism. (though they do get past it)

If you complain or feel 'unpretty' or any other neutral/non-happy human emotion, you're never validated...no I'm not saying I want to be called ugly...but all we get is "Omg, stop it. You're so pretty. How could you POSSIBLY feel that way? Be glad you're not me!"

And then, just because I'm (considered by others) attractive...I've learned the first impression of me basically is that I'll most likely be vapid. (another thing I've learned to get over
and so do those who get to know me)

And God forbid I do typical nerd things...I'm
an outcast among the people I most prefer until I'm accepted. And then a portion of society assumes that 'pretty people' (namely girls typically) only PRETEND to like nerd things to 'seem' cool. Oh ok then.

You see where I'm going this?

(Of course, as part of the very same paradigm, AND because it's CafeMom, I know I'll likely get bashed for having the audacity to COMPLAIN about being pretty. I get it, I'm an ungrateful ahole. But don't confuse me, it's alright, all I intend to point out is that it's really not that fantastic of an achievement. It comes with it's own set of burdens. You're simply thrusted into a different section of stereotype and its own custom set of preconceived notions.

I can tell you one thing, other pretty girls, especially non-conformist pretty girls, will understand the struggle.

(No, I'd never harm myself for it, but I do tend to dress down often for it.)
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Well... Now I need a pic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:23 AM
Pic?
BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Mobile Photo

Quoting KristenFowles: Well... Now I need a pic.
the_dude
by abides on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:24 AM
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:25 AM
See above

Quoting Anonymous: Pic?
the_dude
by abides on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:25 AM
You're pretty.

Quoting BrighteyedAsh: See above

Quoting Anonymous: Pic?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Please.This post is ridiculous.

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:29 AM
Why is that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Please.This post is ridiculous.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:30 AM

Yep, we all have shit to deal with, different shit but still shit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)