Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sometimes blended families don't work, so what?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM
  • 90 Replies
2 moms liked this
I keep reading all these posts about kids not wanting to be around step parents. Ok, so don't make them.

Parents divorce, they remarry. Sometimes they start to build a new family. They try and include the older children and sometimes it doesn't work. That is fine. No shame in that.

Just because you love your new husband doesn't mean your child has to. I see so many parents force the issue and it makes it worse.

Also, you don't have to like your step child nor does our husband have to like your child. It would be nice, and easier. And of course respect should be given.

Men and women go off and start new families all the time. I think people spend too much time being bitter about it.

Just my opinion and yes, I am well aware that some times blended families do work. That doesn't mean that more effort was put into it.
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm so grateful that I haven't had to deal with the issue of blended families. CM is good for something, lol.
jfjejjasj119
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I just think you should  have children with one person ,who does not have children then you will be fine. i have three kids with mu husband. If we were to every get divorced, i would nerver re marry just date and i would never have children with any one else

momofthree0429
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Lol..I have had 4 step fathers. My Bio father started 3 different families. Finally one stuck for him, wasn't my family and that is fine with me, he is happy.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'm so grateful that I haven't had to deal with the issue of blended families. CM is good for something, lol.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM
3 moms liked this
I think its bizarre that people remarry when their SO doesn't get along with their children.

My mom remarried this individual when I was already an adult. I cant stand him for more than a couple hours at a time. I moved in with them after my divorce and saw that he's an abusive ass. It has been made crystal clear to my mother, who has health problems, that there are no circumstances we will live under the same roof again. She can move in with me but he isn't even welcome in my foyer.
Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess it depends on the age of the children.  I got married and then had children with my husband.  If something happened and we split up or he passed away, I'd wait until both of my children were adults and out of the house before I considered remarrying.  I'd never want to be torn between my children and a husband, who isn't their father and doesn't love them like their father and I do.

momofthree0429
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:35 AM
That is a perfect world senario. It doesn't work that way for everyone. I truly hope it does for you if that is what you want.

Quoting jfjejjasj119:

I just think you should  have children with one person ,who does not have children then you will be fine. i have three kids with mu husband. If we were to every get divorced, i would nerver re marry just date and i would never have children with any one else

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I don't really get your point.
momofthree0429
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM
My m married 2 men that I couldn't stand. But I didn't have to live with them nor have to have interaction with them. She was happy that was good enough for me I moved out at 15 to allow her to be happy and not have arguments all the time in her home.

Quoting quickbooksworm: I think its bizarre that people remarry when their SO doesn't get along with their children.

My mom remarried this individual when I was already an adult. I cant stand him for more than a couple hours at a time. I moved in with them after my divorce and saw that he's an abusive ass. It has been made crystal clear to my mother, who has health problems, that there are no circumstances we will live under the same roof again. She can move in with me but he isn't even welcome in my foyer.
veggiemom474
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Ha ha! Don't speak too soon, love can make you do crazy things sometimes.

Quoting jfjejjasj119:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Quoting Bluerose1482:

I guess it depends on the age of the children.  I got married and then had children with my husband.  If something happened and we split up or he passed away, I'd wait until both of my children were adults and out of the house before I considered remarrying.  I'd never want to be torn between my children and a husband, who isn't their father and doesn't love them like their father and I do.

Not necessarily.
My dh loves my children MORE than their biological sperms donor ever did.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)