• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh my god! They are frigging CRAZY! Updated

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 28 Replies

My husband's grandpa passed away a few weeks ago and the service was yesterday. I didn't go because we didn't want our DS (who's 6) to the funeral. DS & I went to the fair with FIL & his wife. I was just expecting to go to the park or something since the funeral was out of town. I get a message on FB this morning from DH's grandma saying this:

You knew you werentt coming,I dont know why you guys cant just say,you cant stand me,and you just toleratedme till grand pa was buries

I know you wer at the fair,you just want to hurt people by not letting them see DS. its so childish,I loved you guys but to be so mean to people I dont understand,and I know grandpa would feel like I do.

love you but disappointed.

DH & I discussed this a lot about whether we should all go or not. His family is not close at all. We didn't take DS because of MIL. She would expect to play the doting grandmother and DS hasn't seen her in 3 years. He doesn't even know who she is at this point.

Is what I wrote back snarky or mean?

DH's grandma, look. It was not to hurt people. WE are doing what WE feel is BEST for our family. WE decided that it was BEST for DS not to go and being as DH is blood related and it was HIS grandfather that passed on, DH went and I stayed with DS. Yes, we went to the fair with FIL and his wife. Yesterday was our anniversary. We did something as a family to salvage the day. You can be mad all you want (and everyone else can be too for that matter), but we feel like we did what was best for our family.

Update: I decided to not send the message and have DH just call his grandmother to take care of it. It is his grandma and I think it would be better coming from him.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tranquil_Octopi
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Sounds like you handled it well. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM
You handled that well.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM
You handled that well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Drama.
mrsjksimmons
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Thank you. I just didn't want to sound like a bitch. They can be a little much to handle. I'm just wondering which family member tattled to her. I told her I most likely wasn't going because I didn't feel good on Friday and that is true. I have RA and I was having a major flair towards the end of last week so I was exhausted but I did feel better on Saturday, but we still made the decision for me not to go because of DS.

Quoting Tranquil_Octopi:

Sounds like you handled it well. 

Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Ok but a bit cold sounding.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I'd have went even if we didn't go to the funeral, but no your answer wasn't snarky but she will still be hurt so nothing you say is going to make a difference.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Sounds a little snarky to me, but whatever. Sounds like a drama filled family anyways.

mrsjksimmons
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM

You have no clue how drama filled they are. We normally don't have anything to do with them because of their drama but DH's grandparents practically raised him, so when we got word that his grandpa was dying, we sucked it up.

Quoting Seagodess:

Sounds a little snarky to me, but whatever. Sounds like a drama filled family anyways.

FutureSoccerM0m
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM
That's exactly what I'd have done even if my dh insisted I stay with the kids home. I'd be there for him.

Quoting Anonymous:

you should have left your kid with your fil. and gone to support your dh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)