Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm getting my stuff back after 2 years! Yay!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this

This is kind of a long story so I will stick to basics and answer any questions below. My ex fiancĂ© was very bitter after I kicked him out of my house. I initially agreed to let him to stay in my basement after we called off the engagement to give him time to save up money to get his own place. I found out after we broke up that he had been having another woman in my house, driving her around in my car, telling her everything belonged to him while we were still engaged. Total jerk. Anyway, while he lived here, he maintained a storage unit that we both used to keep big, bulky things in. I stored Christmas decorations, including ornaments my children made as toddlers. Really sentimental stuff. Well, after I found out about all of the lies I told him he needed to go. He got all mad because he planned to live rent free in my basement indefinitely. With police involvement and a legal eviction notice, he finally moved out. When he did, he locked me out the storage unit! All of my stuff, gone! The owner of the storage facility couldn't help because the unit was in the ex's name. I called every couple of months to see if the unit was still being paid on. Just a few days ago I called and the ex is in the process of getting evicted from the unit! I got to take a look and all of my stuff is there! Just a few more weeks to finalize the eviction and I get it back. I am so happy! Christmas has been kinda hard on me and the kids missing all of those irreplaceable things. I am so excited! 

If you made it through this, thanks for reading :)

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nelliesmommy
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I happy you will getting your things back and good luck!
redzinger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I about cried when that door went up and everything was there. So happy :)

Quoting nelliesmommy: I happy you will getting your things back and good luck!

mischele
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
How exciting for u. I hold on to the ornaments my kids make a school and would be crushed is somebody stole them
Missdameanor
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Most storage place owners auction off the contents to pay the past due rent on the unit. I'm curious why you think you will be getting anything back when your name wasn't even on the lease???
Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Keeping up with it paid off.  Are they going to let you just pay the back rent and have all the stuff inside?

taramac
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Glad you are getting your stuff back and it sounds like you really dodged a bullet by not marrying that asshole,
redzinger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I actually know the owner. He has been sympathetic to my situation. He will auction off the unit, but promised me he would let me remove my items first. 

Quoting Missdameanor: Most storage place owners auction iff the contents to pay the past due rent on the unit. I'm curious why you think you will be getting anything back when your name wasn't even on the lease???

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

you should offer to sell ex his stuff back..kind of bitchy,but then so am i

Missdameanor
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Good for you! Hope he keeps his word!

Quoting redzinger:

I actually know the owner. He has been sympathetic to my situation. He will auction off the unit, but promised me he would let me remove my items first. 

Quoting Missdameanor: Most storage place owners auction iff the contents to pay the past due rent on the unit. I'm curious why you think you will be getting anything back when your name wasn't even on the lease???

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Sometimes in a situation like this, they will just let you pay the back rent and have the stuff inside.  It doesn't pay them to have an auction if it is just a single unit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)