Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you ladies go about this?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM
  • 6 Replies

My sons only 7 months old, but i see this being a problem in the future when he starts walking and wanting to play outside. We have this neighbor, that HATES doing maintence on his property. We once had to cut a tree for him to claim a good portion of our yard back just so we could mow it normally. Well his fence is obviously rotting the houses built around this area were built in 1977, a good chunk of my neighbors have been here since the houses were built, I believe he's been here for almost 30 years if not more, so i believe the fence was put up sometime before the 2000's, We moved in 2 years ago now, The fence is slowly just tilting into our yard and it has breaks and it looks dangerous and their are fench posts hanging off, its a wooden fence. He's a nice guy but I'm afraid once my sons old enough that he might get hurt even if i do tell him to leave it alone.

Would you all tell him he has to fix it or take it down or would you just call the city to keep the peace so he has no idea which neighbors it was? there's several new neighbors on the other street that could complain that are right near his yard too that he has no relationship with. The fence is leaning 3 different ways into 3 different yards, And I believe he has no intention of fixing it, as we had to fix the tree problem ourselves, because he literaly gave us permission to just cut it.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I say just talk to him. I think its usually better to talk to someone one on one first.  Explain that you are worried about your son getting hurt while playing in your yard. He may be really nice about it and fix it. If not, then go to the city.

Kimicora
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Should i wait till next summer? I really don't think my son will be outside unsupervised for long periods of time for at least 3 years, I was thinking about putting our own fence up too, but i have to con my DH into that since his beautiful yard shouldn't be fenced apparently even if it means our sons safety.

Quoting Seagodess:

I say just talk to him. I think its usually better to talk to someone one on one first.  Explain that you are worried about your son getting hurt while playing in your yard. He may be really nice about it and fix it. If not, then go to the city.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I would say maybe bring it up to him now. Just say that you noticed its unstable and you were thinking about what could happen when your son gets old enough to run around back there. He may need time to save to fix it, a little heads up would be good.  Even if he is supervised, by next summer he'll be running around and can get hurt. He could run next to it one day not even touching it and it could fall over on him if its that unstable.

Quoting Kimicora:

Should i wait till next summer? I really don't think my son will be outside unsupervised for long periods of time for at least 3 years, I was thinking about putting our own fence up too, but i have to con my DH into that since his beautiful yard shouldn't be fenced apparently even if it means our sons safety.

Quoting Seagodess:

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Just go talk to him about it.
lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM
If he gave permission for the tree, ask if you can take down the fence, if he says no, put one on your side. Why be an asshole and call the city, what if he has a health issue and cannot do/afford the repairs?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Personally I would call the city. If he had intentions to fix it, it would be done already. Whether you talk to him or the city he still needs to fix it. By calling the city there won't be bad blood between the two of you if he say fuck off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)