Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age do kids stop believing in santa?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM
  • 34 Replies

Would you ever tell them he isn't real?

DS is 8, he is going into mainstream school this year.  I'm not sure what the protocol is here.  He's been talking about santa a lot lately (yea, he starts early lol).  But I don't remember my neurotypical nephews talking about him at this age.

So moms, what's the age that kids normally stop believing this stuff, and would you tell them the truth?

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol . My son is 6 and still believes. But I do think this is the year he will stop. his BFF knows the truth and altho the mom has promised she wont let it slip I do believe she will. 

Texor
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids never believed in Santa. 

Well, that's not entirely true, OTHER people played to the myth...but we never did Santa.  And I told them Santa was not real after one very memorable exchange with my DD when she was about three.

She was talking about all the stuff she wanted for Christmas.  I told her that we should always be grateful for the gifts we receive because there were a lot of parents who could not afford to buy anything for their kids.  She said, "But that's what Santa's for  If they're good they get toys!"

That was the day I ended the Santa myth then and there.  I did not want my child to ever think that a poor child whose parents could not afford Christmas gifts was somehow bad. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I think 8 is fine to still believe in Santa. You might want to tell him to tone it down alittle and that the other kids aren't going to start thinking about Santa until closer to Christmas. LOL. 

My mom had to tell me that Santa wasn't real. It was after the Christmas of 5th grade. She did it because she didn't want the other kids to make fun of me. I may have cried and called her a liar, but looking back it was probably a good thing she told me when she did. I'm neurotypical BTW.

stacy8606
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds is 8 and I hope we still have this year. I love the magic of Christmas morning!
catcameback
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Ah, that sucks, but it's understandable.  I wouldn't want my kid thinking that either!

Quoting Texor:

My kids never believed in Santa. 

Well, that's not entirely true, OTHER people played to the myth...but we never did Santa.  And I told them Santa was not real after one very memorable exchange with my DD when she was about three.

She was talking about all the stuff she wanted for Christmas.  I told her that we should always be grateful for the gifts we receive because there were a lot of parents who could not afford to buy anything for their kids.  She said, "But that's what Santa's for  If their good they get toys!"

That was the day I ended the Santa myth then and there.  I did not want my child to ever think that a poor child whose parents could not afford Christmas gifts was somehow bad. 

bowribbonmama
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

My DS still believes and is 8.

ZombieMeat37
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine never started. lol

catcameback
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM

And yea, I don't want him to get made fun of by the other kids, that exactly why I was wondering

Quoting Anonymous:

I think 8 is fine to still believe in Santa. You might want to tell him to tone it down alittle and that the other kids aren't going to start thinking about Santa until closer to Christmas. LOL. 

My mom had to tell me that Santa wasn't real. It was after the Christmas of 5th grade. She did it because she didn't want the other kids to make fun of me. I may have cried and called her a liar, but looking back it was probably a good thing she told me when she did. I'm neurotypical BTW.

TheSilence
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't do santa. It will be interesting this year because ds is 2 and people seem so insulted when they try to play up santa and we say we don't celebrate santa.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Mine stop when they went to school and others told them Santa wasn't real.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)