Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my kids will no longer be swimming in lakes or creeks or rivers

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

After all the cases of the brain eating ameoba i wont risk my kids life 

the death of a 9-year-old Kansas girl from a brain-eating amoeba infection is a jolting reminder of a rare danger of swimming in fresh water heated by the summer sun — a risk that experts say could get worse in summers to come.

The bug loves toasty, untreated fresh water and can thrive in lakes, rivers, and hot springs, as well hot water heaters, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It has also been found in untreated swimming pools and it occasionally finds its way into tap water that isn’t sufficiently chlorinated.

Experts start to worry about Naegleria fowleri in the summer when water temperatures start spiking into the 70s and 80s — and that’s why, theoretically speaking, the problem might be worsened by climate change, said Dr. Clayton Wiley, director of the division of neuropathology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Warming weather might push water temperatures high enough in northern latitudes to create a friendly environment for the amoebae, thus expanding the area where they can be found.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/brain-eating-amoeba-lurks-warm-summer-water-n156551

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM
11 moms liked this
Encase them in bubble wrap and duct tape them to the living room wall.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM
I wont either they are dirty and gross ick. Dead fish fish poop duck poop people poop.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM
You just need to make sure water doesn't get in their nose.

You're not worried about the flesh eating bacteria vibrio vulnificus?
OrangeDreamPop
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Oh my.. Ok then
jenesis509
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:44 PM
DJ was sure he had this a week ago when we went skiing lol he's fine and got a nose pulg
cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM
I've only heard of the one case of this. I grew up swimming in ponds,lakes, rivers, ect. And its not something I'm going to freak out about unless it becomes an epidemic
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM
This averages like two cases a year. You kid is about a zillion times more likely to be in a car crash or fall down the stairs.
redneckmama4
by Loree on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Yeah, most people know when and when not to swim in hot bodies of water. Usually there are warnings as well.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM
5 moms liked this

Mine isn't allowed in public. With all the stories of kids getting hit by cars, kidnapped, falling down. I'm not taking any chances. I'm covering the house in plastic wrap and padded walls.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM

there have been 6 cases this year in 3 different states. oceans and pools are more than enough.

Quoting cadditalbrat: I've only heard of the one case of this. I grew up swimming in ponds,lakes, rivers, ect. And its not something I'm going to freak out about unless it becomes an epidemic

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)