• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gardeners come hither,please

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM
  • 21 Replies

So,i have been seeing this plant right outside my house. It is pretty big and I have been thinking about chopping it down. I noticed today that something is growing on it. At first I thought watermelon,but upon googling it looks like an eight ball zucchini. I have never heard of this but it looks like the picture. Anyone have any ideas if that is what this is and why it would be growing in my yard? the second picture is just to show the leaves on the plant.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AvantGardener
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:03 PM

What did the flowers look like do you remember?

JackAttacks
by Angel on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM
The plant looks like a pumpkin but the vegetable looks like a zucchini
teri4lance
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:05 PM

that does look like squash leaves....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:05 PM
The vegetable looks like an unripe pumpkin to me.
rosie211
by I'm a nice one on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Sure looks like what you said, according to google. Never seen one in person though.
piperhalliwell1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Looks like the start of a pumpkin, I'd keep it, might be really cool for Halloween!

KennyPooPoo22
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Definitely a squash of some kind. Who knows how it got there. I had butternut growing in my yard last year and I've never planted it before. I suspect birds are carrying seeds
Serena1982
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM
I planted that in my garden. It's a zucchini. Some are long and some are round. I have both types. They get huge. Great for stuffed zucchini.
piperhalliwell1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Zucchinis start out very slim and and slender, not round like that, its most likely a pumpkin.

Quoting JackAttacks: The plant looks like a pumpkin but the vegetable looks like a zucchini

piperhalliwell1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Ive totally never seen round zucchini! This is my first year planting them though...

Quoting Serena1982: I planted that in my garden. It's a zucchini. Some are long and some are round. I have both types. They get huge. Great for stuffed zucchini.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)