Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid Question?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Okay, so I know this is going to be a stupid question, but I figured I would ask since there are a lot of experienced women here.

Can you get an associate's and a bachelor's degree in engineering and then get a master's  degree in pshycology? Or would you have to go to college for two completely different things and start from an associate's degree in each career?

I'm sorry if that doesn't make sense. I will try to explain it some more if I need to.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:07 PM

You can get a Associates, and then a Bachelors, but if you want a 2nd Bachelor's in a different major, that is 4 more years of college in that major. You wouldn't have to get an Associate's again.

theTosh.O
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM

It depends what classes you take. The classes have to apply toward your degree.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You can stack your degrees however you want. My bachelor's is in multidiscplinary studies, master's in human services and doctorate in education. My mentor has a variety of degrees ranging from communications to social sciences to theology. You do not have to have "lower" degrees in a subject to get higher degrees in it. You just have to meet the admission requirements.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM
You *could*, but a lot of a Master's program will build on concepts learned when obtaining an undergraduate degree in psychology. If you're thinking of doing this, then look at the classes, requirements and any pre-requisites needed.

You don't need an associates degree if you are getting a bachelor's degree, but many times it's easy to "pick it up" along the way.

My degree is in graphic design, but there aren't masters programs in "graphic design", but I could easily go for typography, fine art, photography, etc.

There's also the more general/broad MBA programs.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM
You can get a bachelor's without San associate's. You can get a master's in a different field if you can convince the admissions people.
kadcas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Not true, your basic classes count towards both majors so depending it could be as little as 18 months or 2 years. Both my husband and son have double majors in unrelated fields.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can get a Associates, and then a Bachelors, but if you want a 2nd Bachelor's in a different major, that is 4 more years of college in that major. You wouldn't have to get an Associate's again.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM

You most likely won't have the prerequisites required to get into a Master's program for Psychology.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Each masters program has it's own pre-requisites.   

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:34 PM

You can get a Master's in a different field, but you would have to take the prerequistes.  ;)
You don't have to get an Associate's degree and then a Bachelor's degree.  You can do the Bachelor's degree.  

Just keep in mind that you'll have to do something over than government finanacial aid if you want to get another degree equal or lower to your highest degree.  :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)