Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

someone gave me a cat

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM
  • 12 Replies
My friend called.me freaking out because her ex was going to put her girls cat down so I took her. I have a kitten who will be 1 in October and I have a 5 year old daughter. The cat my friend brought to me is very mean. My whole hand is torn up bad so I had to put her in a dog crate for now because I didnt want her to hurt my cat or my daughter. Now I cant even go near the crate. Does anyone know how I can calm her down so I can let her out and get her friendly
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM

She is probably very stressed. Try to see if you can get something from your friend that has their smell on it. A blanket or stuffed toy or something. Put the cat in a quite place. If you have a extra bathroom or bedroom keep it in there with litter and food and water for a while to calm down. Go in every few hours to see if you can pet her and calm her down.

naomishere
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Thats the problem I do not have an xtra room and we live in a tiny apt
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM

How long have you had the cat? It might take it a few days to warm up. Until then its going to need a quiet place to de stress away from everyone. Is there a way you can keep it locked in your room and keep everyone else out?

Quoting naomishere: Thats the problem I do not have an xtra room and we live in a tiny apt

naomishere
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM
My daughter is 5 I cant lock her out of my room unless I put the cat in her room and have her sleep with me
naomishere
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Ive had her 24 hours
Texasladybug84
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Idk cats are evil
OrangeDreamPop
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM
I'd take it outside and let it go. No freaking way
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM

You might want to find a no kill shelter then. It doesn't sound like you are in a situation to be able to take on another pet.

DanaG70
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM

The cat needs a quiet place to de-stress, your daughter is 5 she can listen to you and stay out of your room until you are able to calm the cat down.

Whatever you do, do not turn the cat outside. 

amandajoy21
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM

You need to slowly introduce the new cat to the household. I would get a small litter box and handing food and water bowl and keep her in the kennel for the rest of today. Then open the kennel door and let her come out when she is ready. Why was the dad going to get rid of the cat? Was it just because he isn't a cat person or was it behavioral?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)