Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Disciplining Children Who Refuse To Clean Up

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 160 Replies

All these spanking/ not spanking etc posts got me thinking, how do you discipline your children if they refuse to clean up after themselves?

My kids are 4 and 6 and I've always taught them to throw their trash away... Stuff like that, but I did them a huge disservice and jsut picked their toys up when they were sleeping... Now its a huge battle to get them to clean up their rooms and the living room where they play. They do not clean up after themselves, but they are old enough to be. So how do you deal with teaching your children to clean up after themselves?

This is NOT a bashing post, no, you spank your a bad mother etc. Keep it nice, please

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM
6 moms liked this
Mine have been cleaning up after themselves since they learned to walk but what I hear works is taking the stuff they leave out away. Give them a time limit to pick it up. If they don't do it, you pick it up, put it in a trash bag and hide it away. They have to work (chores, show responsibility ect) to get the stuff back.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM
5 moms liked this

I started mine out really early. As soon as they could walk, they were taught to help pick up.  If I have to tell them more than twice to pick up, or if they refuse, I pick it up, and they have to do a bunch of extra chores (sans the extra chore allowance) to earn them back. If they do not earn them back within a week, it gets donated or thrown away. If you do not take care of your things (by keeping them picked up), you opbviously do not want or need them.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM
4 moms liked this

My kids have no privileges until their rooms are clean. No screen time, no going anywhere, etc. And any toys left out in other parts of the house after they go to bed are lost and have to be earned back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM
3 moms liked this
Mine told me one time "it's your job to clean up" I said your right I'll gladly help you out darling, then I got a trash bag and after about 3 toys his face got concerned and I explained that He obviously doesn't want his toys if he doesn't want to take care of them. He immediately started cleaning and hasn't questioned me since. The other two kids have always been cleaners.
momofthree0429
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I took all of my kids items except for their clothes and put it out to the curb.  Everything, TVs, Stere's, DVDs, CD,s toys, everything.  They lost their stuff and they got to see their friends play with their stuff.  They learned.  They are 21 and 24 and are very clean still.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM
If I yell, they move. I try not to get to that point but, it happens..
Mine are 12, they were much better about it when they were younger.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
DS loses ALL privileges until he does as I asked him to do. No iPad, no TV, no gaming systems, no computer.
ajdahd13
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I would take stuff away. If they refuse to pick up, then I would go through and trash/donate the stuff on the floor. I've threatened to do it before, but I've never had to.
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I only have one, so maybe its easier, but he was never allowed to leave a mess with toys. I have known people who take the toys away and make kids earn them back. That seemed to work. Maybe take the things they don't clean and put them up in your closet till they can manage to pick up after themselves?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM

If stuff is on the stair, he gets three warnings. After that it goes in a trash bag and disappears until we decide to give it back (or maybe forever, it's up to us). 

When his room is a big mess or when we are vaccuuming and need it cleaned, he doesn't get computer time until it's done. 

My son is almsot 10, so Nerf darts are often the bane of my existance. So I will point them out once and if I have to pick them up after that they go straight in the trash.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN