Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do your kids snack on and how often do they snack during the day?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

My 3 are growing so fast! I can hardly keep up with their appetites (ages 6, 7 and 10) 

Today I stocked up on snacks and I got:

apple slices

pudding cups

yogurt'

grapes

veggie sticks 

granola bar 

They eat 3 meals and have like 4 or 5 snacks a day. They are eating machines! Before anyone points it out I know the snacks are junky. Oh well! They get veggies and grains in their meals I change up snacks all the time. Aside from the list I also do pretzels, carrot sticks, popcorn, quesadillas, etc...

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM

We don't allow a lot of snacking, its shown to lead to poor eating habits later on in life. The kids are allowed to have one snack in between meals if they finished their last meal, it is usually raw vegetables.

zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:14 PM

They snack on whatever they can find. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:16 PM

My kids are always eating. Whatever they can find.

It's better to eat many small meals a day that three meals, so we encourage lots of snacking. It promotes healthy eating habits. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Lmao at the snacking causes poor eating habits. It's actually proven that you should never have a "meal" per say but rather eat every hr or so so that you keep your body fed and your metabolism going.
fairymom82
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM
We have a stoplight food system ... fruits and veggies I keep in individual serving portions are free foods so "green" , yogurt, oat muffins, cheese I cube up and things like that are "yellow " which means ask first and usually one a day, cake, cookies and other junk food is "red" which is ask first and probably only as dessert . It works for us and my boys are happy with veggie sticks or broccoli with low fat dip.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM

You have that backwards. 

Quoting lenashark:

We don't allow a lot of snacking, its shown to lead to poor eating habits later on in life. The kids are allowed to have one snack in between meals if they finished their last meal, it is usually raw vegetables.

Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
It gets worse when they hit puberty and the teen years. An hour after dinner, my DS is DYING of hunger(his words lol). He eats a lot of nuts, veggie sticks, cheese and crackers, homemade chips and salsa, pretzels, pita chips, and frozen fruit pops.
Mamatobe15
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Mine eats 3 meals a day and has about 3 or 4 snacks a day. 
We eat veggies, fruits, fruit snacks, yogurt, pretzels, granola bars, puddings, cheese, and on rare occasions I buy chips to munch on.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM

That is pretty genius! 

Quoting fairymom82: We have a stoplight food system ... fruits and veggies I keep in individual serving portions are free foods so "green" , yogurt, oat muffins, cheese I cube up and things like that are "yellow " which means ask first and usually one a day, cake, cookies and other junk food is "red" which is ask first and probably only as dessert . It works for us and my boys are happy with veggie sticks or broccoli with low fat dip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I cannot even fathom what the teen years are going to be like! I'm scurred simple frown

Quoting Leissaintexas: It gets worse when they hit puberty and the teen years. An hour after dinner, my DS is DYING of hunger(his words lol). He eats a lot of nuts, veggie sticks, cheese and crackers, homemade chips and salsa, pretzels, pita chips, and frozen fruit pops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)