Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anybody help me? **EDIT & UPDATE**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies

My 7 year old DD struggles with bowel issues. Constipation to be exact. Right now she has been constipated for about 2 weeks. She goes to the bathroom about 20 times a day and each time she's in there for 10-20 minutes and each time she manages to get just a tiny bit of stool to come out and she says it hurts.

She eats good and is an active girl most of the time. So far the things we've tried are:

Mineral oil

Drinking lots of water

Staying away from milk

Children's laxatives

Stool softeners

Taking fiber vitamins daily

Eating yogurt

Eating other foods that are supposed to be big on fiber

What else can I do? I hate seeing her in pain like this and school is starting back up in a couple weeks and this always poses an issue for her at school. She can't be going to the school bathroom every 30 minutes all day every day and this tends to lead to her having "accidents" because she can't get to the bathroom sometimes (like when she's on the school bus for example). Our insurance doesn't cover a yearly checkup until October and we have no money to pay to take her to her doctor before then. I thought about taking her to the ER, but that would be pointless. They would just tell me to try all the things I already have tried and send us home telling us to follow up with our PCD. Waste of time and money. Does anyone here have experience with recurring constipation? Any tips? Ideas for treatment? IBS does run in my family, FYI.

EDIT:

Ok, some of you are misunderstanding something here so I'm going to *ATTEMPT* to clear it up.

This is an on-going issue that has been happening every so often for the last 2 years. She HAS seen her doctor about this issue multiple times, she just hasn't seen him yet THIS time around. Her doctor has given us directions on things to try, we have tried everything he suggests but none of those things have worked so far. I have also researched this online a lot and come up with some other things to try, none of them have worked either.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS NOT A MATTER OF ME JUST LETTING HER SUFFER AND NEVER SEEING A DOCTOR ABOUT IT. That's ridiculous.

UPDATE:

I spoke to her doctor who said the Miralax is something to try so we got some of that and he also suggested a children's enema, so we got that too. I gave her the enema and it seemed to clean her out pretty good. We'll start with the Miralax tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who was not a jackwad and who actually gave me helpful advice :-)

Also, I think that a lot of her issue isn't that she CAN'T go, it's that she won't LET herself go. She says it hurts to go so she holds it in every time. We had a long talk about why that's not good and what could happen if she continues to not let her poop come out. She promised me she wouldn't hold it in anymore.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:44 PM

At this point I would take her to the doctors and if anything get a note so school does not give her problems. I have ibs d . Ibs sucks! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I am the previous anon: Are you giving her soluable or insoluable fiber? One type is good for constipation and the other for diarhhea 

momofhnd
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Dd was the same way the doc said to give her miralax everyday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

She needs to be assessed by a doctor, and I agree the ER is not the place to do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM
We had to give DS miralax daily because he was severely backed up. I mean to the point his colon was swollen and he'd essentially lost control of bowel activity so he was constantly having "accidents" the next step was an enema :( luckily we got things fixed and cleared out just before time hit for that!
I would make an appointment with the doctor they should definitely be able to help her out! Poor kiddo :(
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM
This. Our son had issues like that. The doctor said it's fine to use everyday and it didn't cause the cramping and discomfort that some of the other things we tried did.

Quoting momofhnd: Dd was the same way the doc said to give her miralax everyday.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM

She gets both

Quoting Anonymous:

I am the previous anon: Are you giving her soluable or insoluable fiber? One type is good for constipation and the other for diarhhea 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Well that could be an issue, they are working against each other!

Quoting Anonymous:

She gets both

Quoting Anonymous:

Linds1986
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:58 PM

My mother has bowel problems. She has IBS.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM
You said your insurance doesn't cover a yearly visit, but I'd definitely go in and just pay the copay. You need to get this figured out.

What about daily prune or pear juice? Or even prune baby food?

Not sure if this is a normal thing or not, but my sons both get bad diarrhea if they eat too many sweet cherries (learned that the hard way!)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)