Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Non-Christian moms, a question

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM
  • 77 Replies
I'm agnostic and dh is pagan, but most of our family and friends are Christian. We don't have a problem with their beliefs, and even respect things like praying over meals. My only concern is how some of it might affect our son. He's 18 months old and likes to "pray" before dinner because his god grandmother does so. He's also been to church a couple of times with family. It's not an issue now, but I'm worried about him getting confused when he's older. We want him to choose for himself where religion is concerned, but what do we do while he's too young to understand? Has anyone dealt with this effectively?
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Bump
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I think you're doing it right by just letting him be exposed to everything. If you made him quit praying or made him go to church against his will then you would be trying to sway him one way or the other. Letting him do what comes naturally to him seems to be in line with your beliefs.
(I'm Christian, but I'm giving an unbiased opinion. Sorry lol)
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM
4 moms liked this

Right now he is mimicking and has no idea what the meaning behind it is. Just let him grow up exposed to it all and he will come to his own conclusions when he is older. Just make sure that the people he is exposed to know that he is to make his own decisions and not be pressured to believe what they do. 

mommy211983
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM
3 moms liked this
My son is 3. If family prays before meals we politely excuse ourselves from the table so they can pray in peace. We are atheists and want our son raised without religion. He got a bible for his birthday this year from a family member that is "concerned about his soul" I simply handed it back to the person and said no thanks. She pushed it and I told her bluntly we are not interested and my son doesn't need nor want a bible and we would appreciate it if she would respect our beliefs.
I feel that children get pushed into Christianity and until he is old enough to look at it and decide on his own whether it's true I don't want people teaching and brainwashing him with Christianity.
I think that religion in general is bad for children and doesn't give them a choice. Christian children are taught one thing and children are pressured into becoming Christian. Children are born atheist and don't have the capacity to think objectively when they are young. I don't want any religion pushed on my son until he is mature enough to look at it objectively and make up his own mind.
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM
We kind of take an organic approach to the matter. Our kids are exposed to our practices, traditions and beliefs, as well as those of our Christian relatives. We also discuss different religions and belief systems fairly often, both with them, and the two of us discussing the topic in their prescence. Our younger child is 2 and our older child is 12. DD (the older one) expressed a specific interest in our beliefs, so we are teaching her. DS will pick up things as time goes on, and as long as it's something harmless like praying (as opposed to being judgmental or afraid people will go to hell) we will just kind of let it be. If it's in the latter category, we will discuss the issue as it arises. We are pagan, btw.
Arwyn724
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM

How else would you expose him to other options if not the safety of extended family?  Are you afraid that when the time comes he may just choose Christianity?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM
I'm christo-pagan and this morning sat in church for my kids. They right now believe everything is right
RocknRoll.Rose
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM
I'm agnostic but my oldest chooses to be Christian. I go to church to encourage him. I don't want to tell him what to believe. That is his decision and his decision only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM
I have. When my kids started asking if god was real i treated it just like i did with santa/tooth fairy/easter bunny etc "if you believe in your heart he is real then he is". I want them to develop their own ideas about god or whatever. We don't believe in a Christian god but others in our family do. When young the kids mimicked others they saw praying too. Now, the kids don't seem confused lol. They realize it's important to just live right.
myempyreofdirt
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Why would I be afraid of that? I already said he's free to choose for himself. I just don't want him to be upset or confused by the differences because he's too young to understand.

Quoting Arwyn724:

How else would you expose him to other options if not the safety of extended family?  Are you afraid that when the time comes he may just choose Christianity?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)