Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did moving help you/your family

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

Here is a little back story. My husband and I were raised in the town we live in (he was born in cali but came back at 2 and his family is from here). We left for awhile while he was in the Army, we lived in TN and the west side of WA. We moved back to our home town almost 2yrs ago. We have 3 boys 6, 4, 15months.

We have struggled quite a bit here, financially with job loss, motorcycle accident etc. but most of all we both feel this town is not right for us. Its an ok place, low crime lower than average cost of living. Schools are ok. Housing is kind of difficult because its a retierment town and two property companies have a hold on rentals(WAY over priced). There is nothing "extra", no restraunts, no museams, things of that nature. All of that stuff is half a day away at best. I cant speak for my husband but I know I (and I get the feeling from him) that we are just going threw the motions of life with no real goal. Well we have goals but oppertunity is limited.

We have always talked of moving out of the US but thats more of a long term, once the kids are out of the house thing. So a state move is more what we are looking at now.  We've ruled out hurricain and earthquake areas, California and Texas(husbs suggestions) were ruled out. Our #1 is somewhere in CO.

My question though is has anyone else been threw this life sinario and did moving help. Part of me says, once DH is done with college just GO, jump in head first and do it, this could be the big change we need.

Then part of me says, will this help. We will be away from family, which is honestly appealing, neither of us are super attached and things are less stressful when we lived away. But we will be with out a safety net KWIM?

*OH we are 25 and 28, since I figured someone would ask :)

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Colorado has leaglized marijuana, is that something you were both looking for?  yes we get hurricanes in South Florida but havent had a direct hit in over 12 years!  I get not moving in tornado alley since they get less of a warning for tornadoes, you have snow places where you have to shovel it, get snowed in, blizzards, etc.  Mud slides, which really what can you do with that? Brush fires due to low rainfall, again nothing you can really do about that.  I guess my point is, you are looking for cities that have lots of family acitivty possibilities, so Google the top 25 family oriented cities and make your selection from there.

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Quoting MixedCooke:

Colorado has leaglized marijuana, is that something you were both looking for?  yes we get hurricanes in South Florida but havent had a direct hit in over 12 years!  I get not moving in tornado alley since they get less of a warning for tornadoes, you have snow places where you have to shovel it, get snowed in, blizzards, etc.  Mud slides, which really what can you do with that? Brush fires due to low rainfall, again nothing you can really do about that.  I guess my point is, you are looking for cities that have lots of family acitivty possibilities, so Google the top 25 family oriented cities and make your selection from there.

Its not what we were looking for specifically, neither of us smoke but have no issue with it. We do see the revenue it brings and how that revenue is being used as a plus though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM

You wont move to CA just because of earthquakes? LOL

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Helped us a lot.

What you need to look for is a place with good income potential for your husbands career (and yours if you plan to work).  We moved to WA from CA, for a job offer my husband got.  Our income is about 10x higher now (over 19 years), raised my kids here, lower crime rate.

I, too, eliminate certain "natural disasters."  I wouldn't live anywhere that had hurricanes or tornados, was commonly flooded, or a lot of snow.  Earthquakes, well - most are fine.  I grew up almost on top of the San Andreas fault in CA - and in 38 years there was ONE major earthquake in the area.  We had no damage (but some scared cats, lol).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)