Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son is scared of the air blowing hand dryer

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
and anything else that is loud. he eaither covers his ears or tried to climb up my back. he is 4...should I be worried?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:53 PM
How bad is his reaction?

My daughter has pretty bad anxiety in public bathrooms because of crazy loud toilets, sometimes being automatic, and the dryers, etc. I just don't make her deal with it as much as possible and she's slowly getting better.

My son, otoh, had full sensory episodes in public bathrooms, among other overwhelming places. He did a few years of occupational therapy, and is pretty typical now at 11.
Shelhead
by Michelle on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM

My 4 year old is the same way. 

ETA I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:55 PM
I'd have him evaluated personally. Good luck.
drumomma
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:57 PM

No I don't feel that there is anything wrong with your son. My 7 year old son has similar reactions. As far as I am concerned I think they are too loud myself. We try to avoid public bathrooms all together.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:57 PM
My 5yo does it too. She hates it when we use the blender or the vacuum cleaner. She's actually peed herself because she sat on an automatic toilet too long and it started to flush so she jumped up mid pee screaming, and peed herself.
It's frustrating as hell. She is the loudest child i know. She yells while playing all the time and it's a constant battle to get her to quiet down. She screams at other people flushing the toilet, and at the hand drier. But she's okay with the toilet at home...
mommy211983
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM
No. My son is 3 and he hates loud noises. Anything noisy bugs him hair dryers included. He's normal.
saraface5383
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM
All 3 of my kids did the same.
AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Are they weirded out by many other sensory experiences (like sand, tags in clothes, loud settings that most kids don't notice). Or is it just the bathroom?
mstasha210
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM

My daughter is the same way. She's 5.  If we go to a public restroom that only has the dryer, she asks for hand sanitizer instead until she can wash her hands somewhere else.  Same issue with flushing the toilet, turning on the shower, fireworks, etc.  She doesn't freak out but she covers her ears until it's over.  She's completely fine after.  I think it's pretty normal for small kids and I'm not too worried.  I can tell she's getting better.

MilkLover0203
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Oh, brother.

Quoting Anonymous: I'd have him evaluated personally. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)