• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He was being such a BRAT!!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM
  • 24 Replies

YDS that is...

This happened a few weeks ago, but I was out and about today with the kids and I was really starting to think the same thing might happen again, so we went straight home this time..

YDS, a few weeks ago, we were living out of a hotel because we just moved up here.  He was FULL of energy as it was day 12 of being in a hotel and on the road.  We went into a mall (They aren't big here, so not much at all to do) and I decided to check out this little craft store.  We go in and ds is hiding in the bolts of fabric, running through the store.  Finally, I lost it and told him to apologize to the lady for disrespecting her store. We left and went back to the hotel where I took all the kids out and ran them around in races. 

Well, today, dh is out of town (he left on Tuesday and will be back tonight) but I just got a job and I needed scrubs.  So, I took the kids out and figured we would make a day of it and I would buy scrubs, we would get lunch out, we'd stop at a park, etc.  I started work on Thursday so this was the first day I would be able to do that.  We get to Wal-Mart and ds is once again, running through the store, hiding behind clothes racks, hiding from me!!  AAAAAHHHHH   So, I grabbed what I had, checked out and got all three back into the car and came home.  The problem is, the punishment increases the problem.  He needs to be able to run around like a nut at times or he goes nuts.  But, he can't be doing it in STORES!!!  The other two (well the oldest doesn't care,but dd does) are basically being punished right along side of him.  The oldest didn't care about the playground, but he was looking forward to eating lunch out.  Instead, we came home and had pb&j's.  DD, who has done nothing wrong, ended up missing out on playing at the park because her brother has lost his mind. 

And how old is this immature hellion making shopping on my day off a horrible event??  8.  That's right, he is an 8 year old boy.  Not 3, Not 4, 8.

So, what in the world would you do?  I mean, the one time I figured it was a fluke.  He had cabin fever from all of us stuck in a car for hours a day and a small hotel room at night.  But today?!?!?!?! Could this be his way of adjusting to me working?  Or has he decided that since I'm not home all the time that he doesn't have to listen to me?  What would you do?

(No, I won't spank him no matter who says it. Sorry, I know some will say that is the problem, but considering in 8 years, we've had maybe 3 episodes of bad behavior in public from this child, I don't think spanking is the issue.)

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
petie1104
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM

bump

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe go to the park and let him run like crazy Before you need him to be on good behavior.
petie1104
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes the obvious answer eludes me!!  We will definitely be trying that next time.  

Quoting TexanMomOf6: Maybe go to the park and let him run like crazy Before you need him to be on good behavior.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:57 PM
He's living out of a hotel so cut him a break.....
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have taken the other kids to the park and to lunch and he would have sat beside me the whole time.  He would have eaten when we got home.  It's not fair to the other kids.  Let him watch the other kids have fun.  You just got to stick to it.

At 8 though?  Man, I would be so embarrassed.  

petie1104
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM

which is why I assumed the first one was a fluke.  But we have been in a house for weeks.  So that excuse doesn't work now. 

Quoting Anonymous: He's living out of a hotel so cut him a break.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Takes a few months of transition time, even so.

Quoting petie1104:

which is why I assumed the first one was a fluke.  But we have been in a house for weeks.  So that excuse doesn't work now. 

Quoting Anonymous: He's living out of a hotel so cut him a break.....

sarastanley88
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Put him on adhd meds
petie1104
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this

RIGHT!!!  Trust me, I was.  Even oldest ds kept saying, "you need to stop, I'm telling you she's getting mad, you better stop".  It was completely embarassing.  The only saving grace is that he is 8 but looks 5, so people think he's just acting like a 5 year old.  But he ISN'T 5!!

Quoting Elyce225:

I would have taken the other kids to the park and to lunch and he would have sat beside me the whole time.  He would have eaten when we got home.  It's not fair to the other kids.  Let him watch the other kids have fun.  You just got to stick to it.

At 8 though?  Man, I would be so embarrassed.  

sarastanley88
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Just kidding. Take him out before breakfast and have him run or some activity he likes so he gets his extra energy out
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)