• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a specified personality disorder/mental disorder for this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Just out of curiosity I thought I would ask if anyone knows. I tried to google and of course I got a million different things that had nothing to do with what I was looking for.

I have this aunt, who I care about a lot. She is only 8 yrs older than I am, so we grew up kind of close. But through out the years I noticed something about her that was off. And I figured it out. She has no personality of her own. Or thats what it seems. For instance, I come over and she mimics EVERYTHING I do or say. I noticed this with others as well. She will mimic someone else and turn completely into that person. Its kind of scary actually. Like she met this one woman and her personality changed dramatically to match the woman she was hanging out with, she even cut her hair to match. I know this sounds made up but I swear this is real, she does things like this all the time with people. I feel bad for her because she has no friends and I believe this is the reason. I mean she will change everything in the blink of an eye from the way she acts or looks to the way she talks. Its really strange and I wonder what this could be. She is 32 yo. I know its not normal for someone of that age, but is there an actually disorder or could it be anything? 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Thank you , thats sounds about right. Im going to read more about this . 

Quoting XandersMommy10: http://www.cmhagrb.on.ca/dnn/Publications/FactSheets/DisassociativeIdentityDisorder/tabid/162/Default.aspx

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:14 AM

sounds like echolalia and could be related to autism

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:17 AM
No, what you are describing is nothing like DID. DID is multiple personalities, like Cybil.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you , thats sounds about right. Im going to read more about this . 

Quoting XandersMommy10: http://www.cmhagrb.on.ca/dnn/Publications/FactSheets/DisassociativeIdentityDisorder/tabid/162/Default.aspx

catcameback
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:20 AM

echolalia is repeating things.  What she described sounds nothing like echolalia.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I thought that was normal to a certain degree. I always find myself mimicking some traits people that I find amusing, enjoy being around or have strong personalities.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Im not a doctor nor do i play one on the internet.  She stated that he aunt mimics everything.

Quoting catcameback:

echolalia is repeating things.  What she described sounds nothing like echolalia.

Quoting MixedCooke:

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Idk, here's a bump. 

JIJsMom
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Sounds like a former "friend" of mine. She is seriously messed up.
catcameback
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this

If you read the post, she describes her mimicking personality, style ect.  Not mimicking what everyone says.

Echolalia is mimicking what people say, or sounds.

I know this because my son has echolalia.  He mimicked spongebob's laugh once for an entire afternoon.  It was a special kind of hell.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Im not a doctor nor do i play one on the internet.  She stated that he aunt mimics everything.

Quoting catcameback:

Quoting MixedCooke:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)