Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tomorrow is the big day!!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

Mobile Photo

My stepson is starting kindergarten! The little man is so excited that we had to fight him for a half hour to get him in bed! Lol

Any tips from veteran mommas to make this a little more smooth?
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM
My last one started kindergarten on july 30th. The advice I follow is not to be a blubbering mess. Be strong for your child.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM

What worked for us was IF they were on there bed with teeth brushed by bedtime they earned 15 mins of reading time ! They loved it and thought it was a BIG DEAL.

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM
That's really good!!!! I like giving a reward :)

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

What worked for us was IF they were on there bed with teeth brushed by bedtime they earned 15 mins of reading time ! They loved it and thought it was a BIG DEAL.

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Did you set bedtime 15 minutes earlier than what it would have been? We shoot for 8:30. But I could adjust to 8 pm and add the reading time ;)

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Oh, I won't cry until I get back to the car :) I almost lost it at open house when he was putting his supplies away, so I started going through a checklist of other stuff we needed to take care of that night!! Lol

No promises after he's in the door, though

Quoting superwoman8977: My last one started kindergarten on july 30th. The advice I follow is not to be a blubbering mess. Be strong for your child.
karenbrzez
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM

My dh and I start 2 weeks before school slowly giving our girls a bedtime again after being off for the summer. It's almost 9:30 pm now so I hope they actually fall asleep at a decent time. Last night they were asleep by 9:45 pm. My son does not start school until Tuesday. My children are older though- 5th grade twins and 11th grade. I know next year at this time I will be sad knowing my twins will be in middle school and my son a senior. Remember to enjoy the times, they grow up very fast!

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Yes my kids slept 12 hours a night until middle school. Their bedtime was. 7:15 if they were ready they could read until 7:30 they had to be up by 7:30 as I had daycare kids coming in. 4 out of 5 nights they were in bed ready to read .

Quoting dawnnamarie: Did you set bedtime 15 minutes earlier than what it would have been? We shoot for 8:30. But I could adjust to 8 pm and add the reading time ;)

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Awe. How sweet. My twins start preschool tomorrow and I'm already dreading it. They are excited though.
sarbear8508
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM
That was soooo me last year. Lol.

Quoting superwoman8977: My last one started kindergarten on july 30th. The advice I follow is not to be a blubbering mess. Be strong for your child.
MrsAmyLynn83
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Oh I remember that day like it was yesterday.... 

At the bus stop we were all fine. The bus came and he got on and sat in the seat right behind the driver. He glanced out the door and I seen him tearing up. Yup, I started bawling. Looked at my hubby and he said "get in the car". lol... We followed the bus to the school and was there to meet him when he got off. Super glad we did too. By then I had stopped crying and the look on my son's face when he seen us waiting for him was priceless! He was so happy. 

I just teared up now remembering it! 

Take LOTS of pictures!!!! I've got tons from each first day! My son's school starts on Aug. 16th. He's going into 4th grade this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)