Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this rude?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Poll

Question: Rude?

Options:

Yes

No

Mmmm, beer

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 63

View Results

Scenario: A couple has a barbecue for a family member's birthday (an adult) and they invite about 40 people. Families and children are welcome and the party starts at 4 pm. All the food plus beer, wine, soda , tea, the cake, and juice for the kids is provided by the hosts. Gifts are not required nor expected and they make that clear to the guests. About four other kids aged 18 mths-5 five y.o. are attending the party besides the couple's own three children. Almost all the adults are drinking during the party except a few of the older adults and the female host since she wants to stay sober to keep an eye on the kids.

Unbeknownst to either host, one of the parents leaves the party with a group of five or six people to drive an hour away to hang out at a lake. She leaves her rambunctious 3 year old at the party in the care of a coworker. This coworker is drinking and socializing with all the other adults and not watching the child at all. The child starts getting very rowdy and probably hyped up on cake and starts getting aggressive with the younger kids. When the hosts start looking for the mom, they realize the child was deliberately left there without making the hosts aware. By this time most of the guests start leaving and it is now about an hour past the host children's bedtime. It takes another 45 minutes for the mom to return and pick up her child and by that time everyone has left except the "babysitter" who never even watched the kid.

Would you think that was rude and unacceptable to expect the hosts to provide free childcare without even asking permission to leave her child there? Or do you think because she had designated another adult to watch the kid that it was okay? (even though that adult was drinking and not doing their job, the mom may not have known that was going to happen) 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Uh, duuuuh.
sarastanley88
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM
.....when you look at a post then get up to get a drink before reading because it's so long lmao
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Sorry, I tried to make the Cliff's Notes version but wasn't successful, lol.

Quoting sarastanley88: .....when you look at a post then get up to get a drink before reading because it's so long lmao

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:36 PM
I hate posts written like this.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Yes of course that's rude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Format or subject?

Quoting Anonymous: I hate posts written like this.

lonelymoon
by Kahla on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:38 PM
What do you think?
catcameback
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Rude.

And cake doesn't make kids hyper or aggressive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Format.

I think it's rude of her to leave the child on one hand. However, on the other hand, she did leave someone to watch the child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Format or subject?

Quoting Anonymous: I hate posts written like this.

CrimsonRadiance
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Oops.. I clicked the wrong one.. don't know why, but I thought you asked if it was ok to do that... so I pushed no.

Yes, it was extremely rude and should not have been done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)