Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you ever yell at your kids?

Options:

Never

Sometimes

A lot, unfortunately

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

We all face it, parenting isn't as easy as we pictured it and it doesn't get any easier as the kiddos get older.....what do you do to keep your cool?  What are your triggers and how do you get around them to avoid yelling at your kids?  Nobody likes to yell at their kids, but it happens.  How do you move past a bad day? 

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I send him away if he's being intolerable. Sometimes I just yell. I'm ok with that, though, not full of guilt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I only yell when he doesn't listen. Usually I only have to start counting, but sometimes, I have to yell. I only only yell his name and if he's done something wrong, I tell him to aplogize and give a hug. I never, ever curse at him. Nothing breaks my heart more than hearing a parent curse at their child. 

ShellLea
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I did today. More than I'm happy to admit. I got them home and separated and once they were calm I took them out to check out the super moon. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM

lately, I've changed tactics a bit.  instead of repeating myself ad nauseum or getting angry, I say "STOP! Rewind!" and make that weird rewinding noise the VCR used to make.  it gets their attention, then I can gently correct their behavior.  still doesn't always work, and it won't work forever, but for now it's better than losing my mind with my very willful and wanna-be-mouthy 7 year old. 

MilkLover0203
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:34 PM
I only yell when they're playing so loudly they can't hear me. I stopped yelling out of frustration/anger. I just send them outside, or to find another activity if I'm upset. I also don't repeat myself. If they don't listen the first time, they're SOL.
angieluvsolivia
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:36 PM

A lot unfortunately.  It's the one thing I hate that I do as a parent.  We are working on it though.

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:37 PM
I walk away. My DS is bipolar and it's NOT worth trying to engage him when it's at the point where I'm frustrated. It's a battle I won't win.
the_dude
by abides on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
There's no yelling in this house. Or in this family for that matter...

Yes there are times when I'd like to yell. But I grew up in a house where everyone yelled, all the time. My mother especially. Yelling doesn't work. At least after a while, I stopped reacting to her when she yells at me. I do not tolerate yelling. I don't react to it either. My mother yelled so much, I just became desensitized.

I figured out early on with my son, yelling doesn't do a lick of nothing. I promised myself, I would break the cycle. I wouldn't yell at my kids. I would let them have their fit, give them time to cool down, and then rationally explain why they are not allowed to do what they did, why it was wrong and/or why what they did won't be tolerated.

Now as infants and young toddlers, I just redirected, as they do not have the reasoning skills...
Luvmykidlets
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Ditto.  It is hard sometimes isn't it?  I have a very reactive personality and when the kids are angry it kind of sets me off.  I'm trying to learn other strategies, but I will admit it's slow going.......but I have hope!

Quoting angieluvsolivia:

A lot unfortunately.  It's the one thing I hate that I do as a parent.  We are working on it though.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:09 AM

My trigger is my 6 yr old crying for no damned good reason, giving up before she actually tries and not doing something because she thinks its hard.  My other trigger is my 4 yr old repeating the same thing over and over and over and over.   I give them a warning and then timeout. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)