Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have any of you received a large inheritance?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

I haven't yet but my mom is ill and I know it won't be long. I already have guilt merely for being a person who is going to receive a life changing amount of money. My dad was a very successful architect who treated my mom like a queen. My mom has recently started giving me very expensive pieces of jewelry of hers when we spend time. It hurts because I know she's doing it cause she's dying and she wants to see the look on my face cause I was always her favorite.

Also more and more she has wanted to profess to me that I am the sparkle in her eye, her best accomplishment, etc. I've told her that although it's really nice to hear it breaks my heart and makes me feel awkward. She just tell me that I'm being too humble and that dad spoiled us in life and would always want to see me spoiled with his earnings now. 

So how can I be okay with the fact that my daddy wanted my mom and us to live a good life using his money??

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM

bump.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I'm sorry your mom is ill. Your pain is evident.

I received a large inher. from my grandparents and I'll be getting even more when my mom passes. That it comes at the cost of death is sickening (literally makes me sick to my stomach). I treated my first inheritance with respect I guess is the word. I am responsible with it. When I use it I think of my grandparents and hope I'm making them proud.

When my mom passes I will get no joy from getting the money. That I have to lose her for it makes it so much different than say winning the lottery. Again, I'll be responsible, think of her, eventually enjoy it, but not waste what she and my grandparents worked so hard for.
mammabear87
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM
4 moms liked this

Yes, it was around 3 million but then I woke up. le sighs

Missdameanor
by Not-a-felony on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, but I would gladly give it up to have my loved ones back =(
OxbAbIebxO
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I'm sorry your mom is sick :( I have never received anything of the sort, but I can't imagine feeling good or being happy about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I don't think it was large, and it wasn't really inheritance. It was life insurance, but I received $25k when my dad died.
I'm not really sure the answer to your question, other than to remind yourself that your dad wanted to ensure you were taken care of, and to use that knowledge, not to squander his money, but to use it accordingly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Yes but it was a bitter split between me and the new wife who was cut in to the will after grandpa was ill. I didn't have the chance to feel guilty. The money came fairly easy because that was all laid out in writing. Those little momentous like you're mentioning was a huge fight. She got rid of war metals, jewelry, pictures, little things that meant more than money. All I can say is be grateful you don't have to fight for it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM
I'm so sorry your mom is sick. It's obvious they love you very much.

I wouldn't feel guilty about the money. Every single person I know who has an inheritance, whether big or small would give the money back in an instant to have the person back and you sound no different.

Just use the money well. Use it for your family and their future.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Thank you. I feel the same way. It makes me feel sick to my stomach to discuss money that has to do with my mom or dads death. Yet she talks about it so...nonchalantly. I guess she's come to terms with the fact she's dying and I just haven't. 

I definitely aim to make them proud. I followed in their foot steps and like them, I make a nice living but am very conservative with my spending. I feel in a way a burden has also been bestowed upon me as I can already sense the resentment from other family members. My mom has been adamant that she owes no one anything, and that her money will be dealt out based on who she feels is most deserving. 

Quoting Anonymous: I'm sorry your mom is ill. Your pain is evident. I received a large inher. from my grandparents and I'll be getting even more when my mom passes. That it comes at the cost of death is sickening (literally makes me sick to my stomach). I treated my first inheritance with respect I guess is the word. I am responsible with it. When I use it I think of my grandparents and hope I'm making them proud. When my mom passes I will get no joy from getting the money. That I have to lose her for it makes it so much different than say winning the lottery. Again, I'll be responsible, think of her, eventually enjoy it, but not waste what she and my grandparents worked so hard for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Manage the money well, pass the gift onto your children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)