Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Shaving Advice For My 11 y/o Needed *ETA*

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:26 AM
  • 26 Replies

I have an 11 year old DD who has hit puberty and its been all of a sudden. I have started buying her real bras (no more trainers), taught her how to shave and now she has started her period. My question is when is a good age to teach her to maintain her pubic hair? She doesnt like it but I told her she is too young to mess with it. I was in my late teen before I messed with it and I know my 16 year old shaves hers. My 11 year old is a little immature and I am at a loss as to when a good time to address this with her, Please dont make fun of me, just looking for advice.

ETA: I dont know if this makes a difference or not but my DD is developmentally delayed. She is always looking for reassurance about if she is doing something correct or not. When she was 4 she was mentally 18 months. Since then she graduated therapy and is now on par with her peers. My mom was not around a of when I was a kid so I dont really know how to be a good mom. I am just winging it and praying I am doing ok.

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Uhura
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Only if she comes to you.

Not everyone needs to or wants to.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:28 AM
I think at 11 I would teach her how to maintain her bikini line if needed..

Other than that I would explain that that hair is there for a reason.. Etc and if she chooses to remove it all when she's older, that's fine.
snugglybugglys
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe get her a trimmer with guard, so she can at least keep it trimmed. My oldest DD is 11 too, and is going through the same thing. 

Mrs.Bryant1201
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:30 AM
Electric razor.
Yellow_Lileigh
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:30 AM
I was 11 when my mom first showed me how to shave my legs. Thick, dark leg hair, lol. And now that you mentioned the pubic hair/age thing I'm pretty sure I was about 15 or 16 when I first shaved my bikini line. And on a personal note, I know some women love the Brazilian thing, but I've never wanted zero hair down there. That would make me feel 8 years old again!
csxt99
by Jennifer on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:30 AM

If she wants to trim or shave it, let her do it. My youngest didn't even bother asking me about keeping her bush neat. She just did what felt right to her. I don't have any issues with that. I would have never known had she not told me one day.

fwkitten1981
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:31 AM

She did come to me and I told her she isnt old enough to worry about it. Now i am wondering if i was wrong

Quoting Uhura:

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Yep.

Quoting KristenFowles: I think at 11 I would teach her how to maintain her bikini line if needed.. Other than that I would explain that that hair is there for a reason.. Etc and if she chooses to remove it all when she's older, that's fine.

fwkitten1981
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:35 AM

Thanks

Quoting csxt99:

If she wants to trim or shave it, let her do it. My youngest didn't even bother asking me about keeping her bush neat. She just did what felt right to her. I don't have any issues with that. I would have never known had she not told me one day.

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:35 AM

I don't think you were wrong. My twins will be 11 this December so they are pretty close to your daughter's age. I know for sure they are not mature enough for that just yet.

Quoting fwkitten1981:

She did come to me and I told her she isnt old enough to worry about it. Now i am wondering if i was wrong

Quoting Uhura:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)