Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how do i ..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
Change dd last name to my dh. He raised her since she was born. Her bio dad left when i was pregnant, dd will be 7 in january and i am pregnant with our second child. I live in nyc. Thank you.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:46 AM
1 mom liked this

IF the bio dad still has his parental rights, you have to get him to sign over his parental rights first AND your DH has to adopt your child in order to give her his last name

IF Bio Dad lost his parental rights then DH has to still adopt her and change her last name

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:49 AM
Quoting Sassy762:

IF the bio dad still has his parental rights, you have to get him to sign over his parental rights first AND your DH has to adopt your child in order to give her his last name

IF Bio Dad lost his parental rights then DH has to still adopt her and change her last name

hes not on the birth certificate, one i told him i was pregnant he left us. So he still has rights?
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:50 AM

Then he has to sign over his rights or you have to try and have them legally severed if he refuses.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

hes not on the birth certificate, one i told him i was pregnant he left us. So he still has rights?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:52 AM
Quoting Sassy762:

Then he has to sign over his rights or you have to try and have them legally severed if he refuses.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

i dont know how that would work. I havnt spoken to him in 7 years last i heard he lived in ct.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:56 AM

Hire a private investigator to find him.

Even though his name isn't on the birth certificate he is still her bio dad. IF you went ahead and had DH adopt her and change her last name without his rights being severed or signed away....he could create serious problems for you and DH in the future.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

i dont know how that would work. I havnt spoken to him in 7 years last i heard he lived in ct.

redneck.crazy
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:58 AM
He's not on the birth cert. He has NO RIGHTS. Just have your sh petition to adopt her. Claim you don't know who her bio father is.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 11, 2014 at 3:59 AM

AND if Bio dad finds out, he can petition the courts for a paternity test and OP and her DH will be in a shit load of trouble

Quoting redneck.crazy: He's not on the birth cert. He has NO RIGHTS. Just have your sh petition to adopt her. Claim you don't know who her bio father is.
Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

redneck.crazy
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:02 AM
Doubtful. All she has to claim is she didn't know who the father was or where he was. If he wanted to be a dad he should have stepped up. Its not op's job to find him and make him one. There are ways to get around the legalities.
Quoting Sassy762:

AND if Bio dad finds out, he can petition the courts for a paternity test and OP and her DH will be in a shit load of trouble

Quoting redneck.crazy: He's not on the birth cert. He has NO RIGHTS. Just have your sh petition to adopt her. Claim you don't know who her bio father is.

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:06 AM

If you say so.....

A Paternity test will solve who the bio dad is. I live in NY and I know how these laws are here in NYC.....we went through this with  2 of my grandchildrens bio dad

Quoting redneck.crazy: Doubtful. All she has to claim is she didn't know who the father was or where he was. If he wanted to be a dad he should have stepped up. Its not op's job to find him and make him one. There are ways to get around the legalities.
Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Anonymous:
Quoting Sassy762:

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM
Petition to terminate parental rights and then adopt

I did and it is a bitch
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)