Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So scared my kids are gonna burn the house down

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:40 AM
  • 25 Replies

Every day they leave for school, I go to their rooms and bathrooms and make sure all 3 of their hair straighteners are off.  We had an incident one day where one of them left it on & I had to turn around to go turn it off.  I was about half an hour away from home, so irritating.. and terrified it was burning the house down the whole way. lol

So that's my morning tradition.. anybody else do that?  If not, you might want to start.

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

Also, a little video games never hurt.

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope. My kiddo doesn't straighten her hair thank god. She has my hair unfortunately.. Shirley temple curls so thick...it sucks.
mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:42 AM
I keep my straightener put up. I don't use it if I don't have to
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM

How old are they? I'd be a mean mom and take them if they keep forgetting.

teenkabear
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

11, 13, & 14.  We've only had 2 incidents in over 3 years, so that's not too bad.  But I'm paranoid by nature, so... lol

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

teenkabear
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Quoting thefiregoddess: Nope. My kiddo doesn't straighten her hair thank god. She has my hair unfortunately.. Shirley temple curls so thick...it sucks.

My kids are biracial (black/white), and I wish they would leave their hair natural.  It's beautiful & curly, but they hate it with a passion.  They pretty much don't leave the house unless it's straightened.

(Your hair is beautiful btw.)

AHmom103
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:52 AM

My oldest daughter and I have that hair too, but we do straighten ours sometimes. She's too young to use the flat iron herself though, and I always make 1000% sure I turn it off and unplug it when we're done with it.

Quoting thefiregoddess: Nope. My kiddo doesn't straighten her hair thank god. She has my hair unfortunately.. Shirley temple curls so thick...it sucks.

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM
I had to turn around and go back home once because I suddenly remembered I forgot the straightener. I am now in the habit of unplugging, wrapping it up and putting it away so I know it's off. Maybe before they walk out the door the three straighteners need to be in a basket in a centralized location that you could do a quick check and make sure they are off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:07 AM

My kids wouldn't be using the straightener anymore until they could be more responsible.  Of course my kids get along well enough we only need to use one not three.

teenkabear
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids wouldn't be using the straightener anymore until they could be more responsible.  Of course my kids get along well enough we only need to use one not three.

As I stated in another reply, we've only had 2 incidents in over 3 years, so that's not too bad. I'm just paranoid.

And the reason we have 3 straighteners is not an issue of getting along, it's an issue of having enough time to get ready.  They would have to get up an hour earlier if I made them all use the same straightener--I'd rather give them an extra hour of sleep and buy 3 straighteners--so I did!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Ah, ok. 2 isn't so bad. But yeah, I am the same way. I will check the stove and my hair straightener multiple times before I leave the house.  I still hate leaving a crock pot on with us gone, even though I know it's fine. Do you have all girls? I can imagine daily life with 3, 2 of them teens. I cannot even imagine my 5 year old dd that age. Lol

Quoting teenkabear:

Quoting Anonymous:

11, 13, & 14.  We've only had 2 incidents in over 3 years, so that's not too bad.  But I'm paranoid by nature, so... lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)