Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another S/O about cleaning..what about mess that is not toys?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM
  • 2 Replies

I read through a bunch of the post aboout discipling your children for not cleaning up.  It mostly focused on toys which could be removed or thrown away to prove a point.  I'm struggling with a different issue and I'm at a loss.  My kids are 9 & 11 and rarely leave toys around.  They do leave dishes, wrappers, apple cores, etc.  They also pull the blankets off the backs of the couch, push the sectional sofa out of order, and leave a food mess when they fix themselves something to eat.  They basically leave a path of destruction in their wake and none of it is important to them so it is nothing I can "take away".  

It is my own fault.  I was a single, working mom and at the end of the day I was just too exhausted to care about a clean house.  I felt guilt and wanted my free time to be spent with them and not spent cleaning.  I would straighten up after they fell asleep.  Now I am married and much more stable and my husband points out to me all the time how disrespectful and infuriating their messiness is.  I agree with him, but no amount of nagging or loss of screen time has helped.  I am open to any suggestions?

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
hismommy2010
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Do a reward system. Use a chart. For a week time frame if they do all their cleaning up after their selves they get a sticker. At the end of the week they can go out for ice cream or rent a movie. Something like that
kadcas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM
The problem is they don't see it. Before they go off to bed have them see what you see and take 5 minutes to straighten the room, load the dishwasher etc. We still do this every night, my kids are out of house, I love having coffee in an Unmessy space.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)