Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why wouldn't you do it to save your baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 351 Replies
7 moms liked this

My SIL is 6 months pregnant with her first child.  She has told me that she is scared and doesn't really know what to expect with the birthing process and parenting in general.  I told her to ask me anything she wants and that I wish I had had someone to ask those questions when I was pregnant the first time around.

I told her that the biggest surprise for me was with labor and delivery with all my pregnancies .  I told her my best advise is to keep an open mind and not be too upset if it doesn't go exactly as she plans or expects.

Well, after I said tha,t she started telling me that she is working on her birth plan which is to include a completely natural birth with no pain management.  Also, she wants NO MEDICAL INTERVENTION of any kind. No internal or external monitors of the babies heart rate, no pitocyn and absolutely no c-section!

I told her I totally understand wanting to do it the most natural way possible, but wouldn't she want medical intervention should the baby be in distress and its a life or death situation or she is not able to finish delivering naturally and she needs a c-section?  I told her I was glad I listened to my doctors advice because all my babies went into fetal distress due to the chord being wrapped around the neck.

Her response was "no, that won't happen to me.  My doctor says the baby is healthy and I should have a totally normal delivery. Me and my baby won't need any medical intervention."

My question is, how can someone not want to do whatever it takes to save their babie's life?  It is so strange to me that women get so caught up in their birth plan that they forget about the most important thing, the safety of their baby!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhoenixsMommy10
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM
39 moms liked this
If it comes down to it, I'm sure she would change her mind.
Clara78
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM
6 moms liked this
Relax most women think this way at first.
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this
IF this should happen to her I bet she'd chabge her tune pretty quickly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I hope so!

Quoting PhoenixsMommy10: If it comes down to it, I'm sure she would change her mind.

CheesyKitty
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this
The doctor won't say "Nope, you told us not to save your baby too bad too sad" if something happens. She has until the her last second to change her mind.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Quoting Clara78: Relax most women think this way at first.
DinoBug5959
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM
35 moms liked this

Total opposite of me! I was like GIVE ME ALLLLLLL THE DRUGS. 

hobobaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM
12 moms liked this
I'm an RN and worked L&D for several years then newborn nursery for 15+ years and attended deliveries. It's usually first time moms that have the long, drawn out birth plans and think everything will turn out exactly how they write it down on paper. But when they actually go into labor reality hits and they realize things change!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Really?  From the moment I was pregnant, I knew I would do anything for the safety of my baby.

Quoting Clara78: Relax most women think this way at first.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM
I hope things go the way she expects, but if they don't, I'm sure she'll change her mind about modern medicine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN