Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Street harassment. How do you feel about it?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:18 PM
  • 301 Replies

I've noticed a growing awareness of street harassment in social media. This makes me really happy. I have a daughter and she's just a few years away from the inevitable harassment she will receive for just walking down the street. 

LINK

Here is a 6 minute documentary on street harassment that I just saw. 

What are your views?

Do you have daughters? Sons? Do you talk to them about this?

by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Exaggerated and more of that break the silence bullshit.
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM

My daughter witnesses and noticed a group of men yelling at me from their car once. I was riding my bike with both kids in the trailer behind me. When my daughter asked why they were yelling, I didn't know what to say. I lied. I told her they were cheering me on up the hill.

furbabymum
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are too young to understand. Myself, I hate every fucking male who yells, honks, whistles or otherwise acts like he is allowed to harrass me simply for having tits and ass. It is disgusting the level of ownership some men feel they have over women and their bodies. I hope they all burn in hell.

momma-flynn
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM
3 moms liked this
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM

What do you mean? You feel that women aren't harassed that often? And what is the "break the silence" bullshit?

Quoting Anonymous: Exaggerated and more of that break the silence bullshit.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this... I've only been catcalled two or three times.

I feel fat and hideous now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in LA, busy as hell, before this I was in Austin, TX. Never once was it a regular occurence there. Never. I was a pedestrain all throughout college and often now I walk to shop. NEVER do I see that, to me or others.

Quoting AvantGardener:

What do you mean? You feel that women aren't harassed that often? And what is the "break the silence" bullshit?

Quoting Anonymous: Exaggerated and more of that break the silence bullshit.

AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Walking down the streets of Chicago at night with my husband, he has had to witness this first hand, but only twice. I was so glad it happened in front of him. He was visibly uncomfortable and maybe full on scared. It was the same thing I go through when he's not there all the time and I felt finally, he would know. Now he understands. He told me that he had no idea women were treated this way.

Quoting furbabymum:

My kids are too young to understand. Myself, I hate every fucking male who yells, honks, whistles or otherwise acts like he is allowed to harrass me simply for having tits and ass. It is disgusting the level of ownership some men feel they have over women and their bodies. I hope they all burn in hell.

AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I have not! WOW!

Quoting momma-flynn: I'm not a fan of it. Have you seen this yet? http://m.tickld.com/x/next-time-someone-says-women-arent-victims-of-harassment-show-them

momofthree0429
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
It has never bothered me and I certainly never thought about it as harassment. If they aren't touching me, I don't care.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN