Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Want some honest opinions about grocery shopping *thank you for those who actually helped*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies

Okay so I figured since this is one of the largest groups I'm a member of I'll get a varity of opinions. In the 5 years my husband and I have been together we have never been able to go grocery shopping together. I am very much of a get in get only what you need and get out. He is the kind that goes up and down every asile throwing whatever looks good in the cart and most of the time missing whatever we need. I asked him to go a few times to pick up one item and he comes home with 3 or 4 bags full of junk. Sometimes he doesnt even get what I asked in the first place! I have sent him with a list, I have texted him, I've even called him and told him what to buy. He always grabs extra stuff. I go in and I'm under budget with everything that I need for the month. If I have extra I'll go ahead and buy the goods.When we go together we are fighting about what to buy, when he does the meat I'd go and grab other items that made him mad because he felt I wasnt including him, he gets pissed off at the kids (ages 2 and 5 months) when they start to get fussy. It takes us about 2-3 hours to grocery shop together!

So here is what is happening, lately I've been doing the grocery shopping on Friday before he gets home and everything is put away. We can sit and relax I thought this was a no biggie. Apparently it is and he wants to go. I dont know what to do with this. I honestly cannot trust him to get the needed items and only the needed items. I need some thoughts.

Should I let him go with? Should I trust him with half the list? Should I ask him to just please stay home with either 1 or both kids?

Thank you for those who actually gave advice. I'll try the cash and spliting the list so he can get the junk and i'll grab everything else. What the issue is the amount of junk food he gets. I budget out snacks for the house but he goes and grabs more each time we go then I have to put stuff back that I want/need. So with that said thank you again for those who were helpful

I've talked to him about this before and he is asking me to give him a chance. It wasnt just 2 or 3 times. It's been over 10 times he has come home with more than requested

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Are you serious?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Wat

busymomma705
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

You buy the needed items on Fridays and he is free to go to the store whenever he likes for the not so necessary stuff.  

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Maybe you guys should do what we do. I do the bulk of the grocery shopping myself. My husband then goes and picks up what he wants and we fill that in between meals I've planned and shopped for already. We stay close to our budgeted amount and we both get what we want without arguments.
ShellLea
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband shops like your husband. We shop together all the time but it's like shopping with the kids. "I said ONE bag of chips. Put the rest back. No cookies. We aren't going down the beer isle. There is no way you're putting those in the cart. Keep up, we still have to go through the produce section. Just because there's candy at the checkout doesn't mean we're buying it." Good fucking times.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I know the feeling, so I told my husband that's the only quiet time i get to myself so he watches the kids while I go so I can have that time to myself
SallyB_LMT
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Give him a budget and ask him to pick out snacks and so forth for himself and the kids.  You can make the menu and buy the big grocery list so that he doesn't have to do that.  Maybe he just likes shopping?  I also like to browse and I tend to go shopping when I don't have kids in the evening, it's relaxing.  Of course if he can't stop himself from buying the whole store...lol  You need to give him a wad of cash and tell him this is what we have to spend on this stuff.  That has worked for us in the past and we're on a really tight budget here.

JC2223
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM

This is a marital "pick your battles" situation. DH and I can not shop together! We drive each other bonkers and it's not worth the annoyance. I do the necessary shopping, he does his own shopping for the goody items he wants but I didn't purchase. He is good about asking if we need anything and will pick up those items, but the rest is done separately to avoid getting on each others nerves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM
He can buy whatever he wants at the store he brings home the money for groceries,doesn't he?
PogoPalOj
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM

If you go grocery shopping when you are hungry, you are liable to pick up anything. I think it is a  'man' thing.  My husband is the same way.  Especially when I plan with my coupons!  When I go by myself, I can save anywhere from 50 to 90 %.

Finally I got him to get into a game of who can save the most money with coupons.  He is not so bad now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)