Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another Robin Williams post...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
3 moms liked this
A few days before my father died we watched a marathon of Robin Williams movies ending with Mrs. Doubtfire together. There is a scene, a small one, where he is playing with dinosaurs. (I'm sure you know it). It resonated with me so much, this man who looked so much like my father, dressed like him... He was funny like him too.

I didn't know that my innocence (I was 11) would die a few short days later. Nobody could have known my father would be murdered.

My childhood locked itself up in that marathon of movies, and Robin Williams became a totem of the relationship I had with my father. No, he wasn't my father, and I would never even meet him. He had no idea what he meant to me.

As long as he lived and breathed and made people laugh, well, my father was a real tangible part of my own history.

Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps my innocence truly didn't die with my father. A part of it locked away in the childlike heart of Mr. Williams now that he's gone it feels like the door to my own childhood had closed as well.

I know that it is so strange to feel such a connection to a stranger, but when a person is a part of the public eye sometimes in grief we imprint on them.

Do you have any stories like this?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM
4 moms liked this
This was well written and enjoyable to read.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

It's truly a sad thing that such a loved man felt alone enough to take his own life.

Quoting Danesmommy1: This was well written and enjoyable to read.
TaylorBaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM

i also feel this way about Robin. he reminds me so much of my dad and always has. i'm sorry for your loss of your father *hugs*

weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I get it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Did you see that movie where his kid masturbated and choked himself while doing it and eventually died because he hung himself while masturbating. Wonder if this is how RW died?

Funny the movie was called World Greatest Dad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:13 PM
He was an icon of their generation!

Quoting TaylorBaby:

i also feel this way about Robin. he reminds me so much of my dad and always has. i'm sorry for your loss of your father *hugs*

Krysta784
by Dani on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Really?! That is disgusting! And NOT appropriate at all!

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you see that movie where his kid masturbated and choked himself while doing it and eventually died because he hung himself while masturbating. Wonder if this is how RW died?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Nice.

Quoting Anonymous:

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM

just trolling for attention I see!

Quoting Anonymous:

Krysta784
by Dani on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes OP, I think many of us have similar connections. I know I do. Losing him feels like losing a huge part of my childhood and I'm certain I'm not alone in that feeling.

He will be forever missed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)