Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

spin off sucide?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
Anyone worry there will be a heightened amount of suicide after losing Robin Williams? I worry people will see how much attention and love he has received and feel they should do the same. I worry that people who are depressed will feel like if he was that loved, that rich, that famous, he had it all and yet couldn't overcome his depression how can they?
I confess I see suicide almost differently after this. This wasn't a temp problem that will find a way to work its way out. This was a lifelong disease that finally won. I feel a little more compassion for suicide victims and wish more than ever there was a cure for depression. I think its something that needs to be given more study and more attention. Depression is the ugly disease no one wants to acknowdge. Its hard to understand if you don't struggle with it. I have anxiety so in some ways I know how hard it is to explain thoughts you can't control. Luckily my thoughts are slightly controllable. ( I don't drive ever though). But I feel more compassion and understanding for those who's aren't. I am not sure Robin felt like " his family would be better without him" or that life was hard at the moment and it felt too overwhelming. I think he simply got tired of fighting a disease he struggled with his entire life. I do feel bad for his family, their grief I am sure is unbearable. But I do pray he has finally found some peace.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM
i saw his saddness in his eyes. i wonder what his childhood was like
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM

You know, I saw it, too.  Especially in his latest sitcom, The Crazy Ones.  I told my dh that he just looked sad inside when we saw it on tv. 

Quoting Anonymous: i saw his saddness in his eyes. i wonder what his childhood was like

km1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I hope these kind of dialogues continue. I hope talking about mental health issues continue to be a subject brought up both in the media, in communities, in homes...etc. Sadly, what usually happens is the discussions continue for a few days or weeks and then gets pushed aside. 

I truly hope, his death will help others who are on the edge to seek help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Clearly, you don't know much about actual depression.  Those who are truly & clinically depressed do NOT commit suicide for the attention!  They do it to end all that makes them sad inside.

People who attempt and fail and those who merely threaten, are the attention seekers.  And, in the long-run, do NOT want to commit suicide.  They ultimately want someone to stop them.

If a person truly wants to end their life, they will do it in a fashion where there is no possible return or saving.

chamamahaha
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM
he always seemed to be on the verge of tears, he seemed uncomfortable alot of the times or ot of place, i wonder what was going on with him..maybe he heard voices in his head, and never told anyone. and just lived with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

You know, I saw it, too.  Especially in his latest sitcom, The Crazy Ones.  I told my dh that he just looked sad inside when we saw it on tv. 

Quoting Anonymous: i saw his saddness in his eyes. i wonder what his childhood was like

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM
I hope so too. I hope that this encourages others to take depression seriously.

Quoting km1970:

I hope these kind of dialogues continue. I hope talking about mental health issues continue to be a subject brought up both in the media, in communities, in homes...etc. Sadly, what usually happens is the discussions continue for a few days or weeks and then gets pushed aside. 

I truly hope, his death will help others who are on the edge to seek help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM

This might help you understand what he was going through.  These are excerpts from interviews where he talks about his "demons".  It's a safe link to a Yahoo news story.

Quoting chamamahaha: he always seemed to be on the verge of tears, he seemed uncomfortable alot of the times or ot of place, i wonder what was going on with him..maybe he heard voices in his head, and never told anyone. and just lived with it.
Quoting Anonymous:

gabenmikeysmom
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Its become an epidemic
Arwyn724
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Anyone intent on commiting suicide will find a way to accomplish it.  Making gestures to gain attention is usually just that, someone who wants the attention.  Most mentally ill people who are at that point just give in and give up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM
I admit I don't know much about depression in that degree. Maybe I worded it wrong. I just think if someone is contemplating suicide and saw all this Robin Williams stuff maybe they would feel more depressed, feel more hopeless about their own situation. I think when people are depressed this kind of thing can set off people who are also struggling.
I also think sometimes people do kill themselves because they feel unloved and alone. Seeing the out pour of love and support he has gotten after his death could make them feel more inclined to do it too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Clearly, you don't know much about actual depression.  Those who are truly & clinically depressed do NOT commit suicide for the attention!  The do it to end all that makes them sad inside.

People who attempt and fail and those who merely threaten, are the attention seekers.  And, in the long-run, do NOT want to commit suicide.  They ultimately want someone to stop them.

If a person truly wants to end their life, they will do it in a fashion where there is no possible return or saving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN