Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bus driver took my dds phone

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 310 Replies
4 moms liked this
My dd (13) is home alone for about an hour to an hour and a half after school till my df gets home (I work afternoons/evenings) Yesterday my df got home and texted me to tell me she wasn't home which she should have been. I'm kinda freaking out because an hour and a half is REALLY late so I text her. She texts me back about twenty minutes later the bus driver turned the bus around and went back to the school because a kid sat in the wrong seat. I tell her to shoot me a text when she gets home. Her school is about a 45 minute drive from our house.

Fast forward about an hour and I get a text from dfs phone from my dd saying she got in trouble for texting me on the bus and the bus driver took her phone. I looked at her phone activity online and my text to her and her text back to me was the only activity on her phone that day. She keeps it off and in her locker during the school day.

I called the bus driver this morning on the number he put on the bus ticket she got for violating the rules and explained the situation and asked him if she would have asked permission if he would have permitted it. His response was no electronics, no exceptions.

I understand the rules but when you are dropping my child off at home more than two hours later than usual shouldn't we be notified in some way if our children can't text us from their cell? I got no call whatsoever from anyone involved with that school.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM
7 moms liked this

Call the bus company.

hopeful_leslie
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM
51 moms liked this
Yea that school would get an ear full from me and it would be face to face not over the phone. Your dd did nothing wrong IMO
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM
3 moms liked this
This. Talk to a supervisor in transportation.

Quoting Melissa_4:

Call the bus company.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM
13 moms liked this
I'll be stopping at the transportation department before work today to pick up her cell phone. I was going to talk to a supervisor while I was there.

Quoting Melissa_4:

Call the bus company.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM
8 moms liked this

Our middle school kids in our district are allowed to use their phones once they leave the school building, even on the bus. This was very helpful when my son's bus was in a minor accident last year and they had to wait for a new bus.  

On another bus in the area for the middle school, a kid was stabbed and another child having his cell phone saved the kid's life because the bus driver wasn't listening to the commotion.  Kid called 911 and finally got the bus driver to listen. 

I get she has to follow the rules but I think cell phones being available on the bus is a necessity.

lovehimforever
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I would call the school district.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh I would be livid! I would be at the school this morning and demanding he be reprimanded for this. That is just wrong!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM
I'm super upset over the whole situation. I need to personally get her phone from transportation before work. I guess I just wanted validation that I'm not overreacting to the whole situation kwim?

Quoting hopeful_leslie: Yea that school would get an ear full from me and it would be face to face not over the phone. Your dd did nothing wrong IMO
mommieof38829
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Call the school distract and the principal of the school
PeachQuean
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Dumb rule.

My kids can text in class if they need to, and it's kept brief and quietly.

So.the bus should be fine . I'd call and complain.

Why didn't the school call and tell you why they were late?

Ours does, they call every child's parents on the bus to inform them of the bus being late

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN