Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Suicide is NOT selfish

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM
  • 280 Replies
82 moms liked this
Depression lies. Period. It tells you that your loved ones are better off without you. It tells you that your pain causes others pain. It tells you there is only one way out. It lies.

I understand there are countless of you whom have suffered to the edge and found the strength to step back, to choose a different path. For that I truly and whole heartedly commend you. That said, saying "I was there but couldn't do that to my family" does not make you a better person than one who was taken by depression. This disease touches every person differently and no two will ever suffer the same.

No one chooses to let sickness win. That would be like saying a person chooses to get cancer. No one in their right mind chooses to end their life. The disease kills their right mind.

Yes, it is devastating for those left behind. Being left behind as a result of a suicide makes us angry. It makes us hurt. It makes us blame. But if we can look beyond that we can see that as much as we suffer it was but a fraction of what our loved one must have been going through.

I guarantee there is someone in every one of our lives struggling to keep smiling, to keep above water. Rather than point out the sins of the fallen we need to as humans lean on each other to help those on the brink. Diseases only win when we let

Agree or disagree, that is your choice. This is just my two cents.
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TotallyTweedles
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:07 PM
9 moms liked this
Thank-you. So many people are so cruel about depression and so few understand it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Agreed.
AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I agree.  

BEXi
by BEXi on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Agreed.
kay283
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM
4 moms liked this
i agree .

Selfish is expecting others to live a life feeling horrible so that others dont call us selfish
Mums.the.word
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM
3 moms liked this
Agreed, very well said.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM
4 moms liked this

I absolutely agree. I've been there, it sucks. What sucks more are the people who just don't understand. Thank you for posting this. 

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM
7 moms liked this
Nope and anyone that thinks it is, is a pompous ass hole.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)