Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's pissed and I just don't care.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this
Before bedtime tonight DD was being hyper and trying to prolong bedtime. SO ( not her father) decided he was going to dish out punishment for her being hyper, without talking to me about it first. HE decided that because she wouldn't calm down and go to bed that I was not reading her a story tonight, like I always do. Now I am all for appropriate punishment, but I will NOT use reading a book to her as a form of punishment. As soon as he said it I took him to our bedroom, shut the door, and told him that under no uncertain terms was story time going to be a punishment, and left the room to read to DD. Now he's pissed that I defied him by not taking away story time. Oh well. He'll get over it.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimicora
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Good job, schools already turn books into a bad enough chore, parents don't need to do it too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:26 AM
Thank you.

Quoting Kimicora:

Good job, schools already turn books into a bad enough chore, parents don't need to do it too.

hautemama83
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:28 AM
Meh I agree with him. You seem awfully dramatic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh well. I want DD to love reading, not see it as a form of punishment.

Quoting hautemama83: Meh I agree with him. You seem awfully dramatic.
myloveismyfaith
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM
Eh I can see both sides. My daughter absolutely loves to read, so for her that would be a pretty strong punishment and I'm not too concerned she's gonna stop loving books all of a sudden. However you're right, reading should be not just an enjoyment, but a learning tool. You don't keep kids from school when they're bad, you shouldn't keep them from books either.
hautemama83
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:36 AM
2 moms liked this
If he used reading as a form of punishment your statement would make sense. But that isn't what he did.

Quoting Anonymous: Oh well. I want DD to love reading, not see it as a form of punishment.

Loveavision
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:44 AM
2 moms liked this
I thought the same thing. He turned not reading in to a punishment.

I think you're starting an arguement over nothing.

Quoting hautemama83: If he used reading as a form of punishment your statement would make sense. But that isn't what he did.

Quoting Anonymous: Oh well. I want DD to love reading, not see it as a form of punishment.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Although I see your pov she can't know or learn that just bc it's not her bio dad she doesn't have to listen and respect what he says. That's not fair to him.
hautemama83
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Kids are kept from school for being bad, all the time.

Quoting myloveismyfaith: Eh I can see both sides. My daughter absolutely loves to read, so for her that would be a pretty strong punishment and I'm not too concerned she's gonna stop loving books all of a sudden. However you're right, reading should be not just an enjoyment, but a learning tool. You don't keep kids from school when they're bad, you shouldn't keep them from books either.
PoisonEyeV
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Why was it made clear that he's not her biological father? Makes it seem like you do all the overruling...

Anyways, I think you handled it stupidly. You could have just gone with it for that night and then talked to him afterwards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)