Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long would you wait to go to the doctor?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:25 AM
  • 10 Replies
My daughter is 15 this morning she told me her ear hurts. She doesn't have a fever and the pain is not constant but does hurt when she lays down on it. She's feeling tired and a bit run down but she also in band camp right now from 730-6 every day. I mentioned taking her to the doctor and got the look and "I can't miss band camp I'm a section leader"

ETA: also she's never had an ear infection in her entire life, I gave her Motrin this morning and she said it helped a little.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMindy31
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:32 AM
It might be fluid built up near her eardrum. I would call her doctor and see if you could speak to a nurse. I use to have real bad ear infections and my grandmother, who was a nurse, would put hydrogen peroxide in my ear. I don't recommend that unless you speak with a professional. Hope she feels better.
228mommy922
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Is her sinuses bothering her at all?

I would just do warm olive oil in it.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:38 AM
I asked if she felt like she had sinus pressure and she said it just hurts. I don't think the doctor would give her anything unless she has a fever anyway... I do have some numbing drops from my 8 year olds infection a while back, maybe I'll have her try those.

Quoting 228mommy922: Is her sinuses bothering her at all?

228mommy922
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:44 AM
Yeah. Just make sure they are not expired. Ear infections will typically heal on their own.

Quoting LCWAmommy: I asked if she felt like she had sinus pressure and she said it just hurts. I don't think the doctor would give her anything unless she has a fever anyway... I do have some numbing drops from my 8 year olds infection a while back, maybe I'll have her try those.

sam12796
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:47 AM

If it doesn't get better in a day or two take her in to be seen. A ruptured ear drum is a really awful

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:50 AM
I agree with this mom. I also would give her a decongestant pill. They can help with sinus pressure that can cause ear pain. Typically doctors don't give antibiotics without a fever present. They should be better in a few days. If not, I would take her in. I've also done the hydrogen peroxide, and that does help too.

Quoting 228mommy922: Yeah. Just make sure they are not expired. Ear infections will typically heal on their own.

Quoting LCWAmommy: I asked if she felt like she had sinus pressure and she said it just hurts. I don't think the doctor would give her anything unless she has a fever anyway... I do have some numbing drops from my 8 year olds infection a while back, maybe I'll have her try those.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:51 AM
Oh, I didn't think of that... She said the pain isnt horrible. When my 8 year old had an infection a while back she was crying from the pain. Hmmmm

Quoting sam12796:

If it doesn't get better in a day or two take her in to be seen. A ruptured ear drum is a really awful

sam12796
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM

One more thing is if you have olive oil add some garlic to it. Whole clove is best and warm it up. Let it cool and use in the ear. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. 

sam12796
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Quoting LCWAmommy: Oh, I didn't think of that... She said the pain isnt horrible. When my 8 year old had an infection a while back she was crying from the pain. Hmmmm
Quoting sam12796:

My girls have had plenty of ear infections in their lives. Neither of them cried form them. In fact the thing that made me think something was off was they would stop drinking from bottles or sippy cups. They wanted them but took 2 sips and threw them down. Sleeping patterns were off. Then the fever hit and it hit hard. 102-104 degrees. Ear infections every darn time. I recently had one and it wasn't painful. My ears just were so stinking itchy inside. I wanted to stick a sharp thing in there to scratch it. Went on for a week and then went into the doctor anyway for a cough that lasted forever to find out I had bronchitis and yep and ear infection.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:03 AM
My kids have never really had ear infections so I don't have a lot of experience with them. I'm leaning more towards sinus pressure right now but I'm Keeping an eye out for fever or anything off. Thanks!

Quoting sam12796:

Quoting LCWAmommy: Oh, I didn't think of that... She said the pain isnt horrible. When my 8 year old had an infection a while back she was crying from the pain. Hmmmm

Quoting sam12796:

My girls have had plenty of ear infections in their lives. Neither of them cried form them. In fact the thing that made me think something was off was they would stop drinking from bottles or sippy cups. They wanted them but took 2 sips and threw them down. Sleeping patterns were off. Then the fever hit and it hit hard. 102-104 degrees. Ear infections every darn time. I recently had one and it wasn't painful. My ears just were so stinking itchy inside. I wanted to stick a sharp thing in there to scratch it. Went on for a week and then went into the doctor anyway for a cough that lasted forever to find out I had bronchitis and yep and ear infection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)