Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had a young child with suicidal ideation?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
I found out tonight that my child under age 10 has been having thoughts of hurting themselves to the point they would "be in heaven". I know what is at the root of these thoughts and unfortunately it is circumstances that I have been powerless to stop up to this point. My child is in counseling and has been for 3 years now for the aforementioned issue.

She will be having an emergent appointment with her counselor tomorrow due to the thoughts of self-harm.

I am completely at a loss as to what I can do to help her. I feel I am a very involved, active and supportive parent. At times I overcompensate due to the circumstances of her life outside our home. She is well cared for,we are not living in poverty,she has plenty of friends and social activities as well as extra-curriculars. I tell her all the time that I don't just love her but like her too for the awesome kid that she is. I don't know of anything else I could do to make sure she feels loved in our home, by my family and by friends.

I'm just so heartbroken for her. This should be the most carefree and enjoyable time of her life and instead she is having to deal with depression, anxiety and such horrible emotional pain that she wants to no longer live.

We talked at length tonight and I promised her I would help her through this and that I wouldn't give up on finding a way to get her feeling better. We have set up a safety plan of sorts to where she can call me and say a code word and I know that she is having thought of self harm and I immediately go get her, no matter what. I told her that she is the most important person in the world to me, not work, not clients and that I will leave work and take a leave of absence if I need to.

I'm just so devastated. And scared. I've checked on ten times since she went to bed. Has anyone gone through this with their child? Can you share any tips? Resources or books? What medical professionals are best to address this issue? Responses from people who were like my child when they were younger are greatly appreciated as well. Thank you.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:20 AM

I haven't had any experience with this, bump for someone who has.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:22 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Bumping for help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)