Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some friend you are....

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:22 AM
  • 9 Replies
I have an interview next Thursday. Its for an assistant manager position at my job. It's almost 2 hours away from where I live. I do NOT do well with interstate traffic, so a week ago I asked a " friend " ( or I thought she was a friend ) if she would go with me. Immediately she said yes, it wouldn't be a problem at all. She said she would even bring her gps.

Something told me to go ahead and print out directions to the interview. I'm glad I did. She just texted me, at almost 3 in the morning ( when I'm usually asleep ) to tell me she can't do it. She couldn't even keep her excuses straight! I know it shocked the hell out of her when I replied back.

I'm done with her.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Alchemist_Momma
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:26 AM
I mean, if she didn't want to go, why say yes, then make up excuses to get out of it?!
TwoPennies
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 5:06 AM
3 moms liked this
If you don't do well with interstate traffic who is going to take you and pick you up every day? Plus the interview is more than a week away right? Next Thursday? That's still plenty of time to find someone else, although you should probably suck it up, practice the drive this weekend, and take yourself...
Book.Strumpet
by Fountain.Pirate on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Ok, I understand that you have an interview for a higher position at your current job, but the interview is taking place, 2 hours away from where you, and both jobs are.

You'll have to try, and forgive, and understand peoples lack of reading comprehension skills, this bloody early in the morning. ;)

Your friend changed her mind about taking you. It unfortunate, but you need to remember she was doing YOU a favor, driving at least 4 hours there, and back, not to mention waiting while you had your interview. Regardless, something better came up for her, or she just changed her mind, and didn't want to drive that far or be gone that long. People have a right to do that. It's not like she told you the morning of. . .

You have a week to figure out how to get there another way.

I have to say, if you will dump a friend, simply over her changing her mind, about doing YOU a huge favor,and giving you plenty of time to make other arrangements, I might add, maybe you weren't her real friend anyway, or were only a friend if she held on to the strings attached. I bet she's also thinking to herself, "Wow, some friend she is!"

Take a deep breath, and figure out how you are getting to your interview; then once you've rethought things, perhaps you should call her, tell her you apologize for being such a *****. You understand it was a HUGE favor to ask, and that stress, and anxiety got the better of you, when you realized she had to back out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:17 AM
If you can't drive to an interview, how do you expect to work there?
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this

While I can see your side and understand why you're upset, I don't think your friend was wrong. SHE was willing to give up on a significant part of her day to do YOU a favor. If something came up for her or she just plain changed her mind about wanting to do that, she has every right to do so. She doesn't owe you that and you don't have the right to demand it of her. You should also consider the fact that she didn't tell you this the evening before. She left you with plenty of advance notice and enough time to make other arrangements.

Like a previous poster said, if you would dump a friend because she changed her mind about doing something for you that she is in no obligation to do, then YOU are the one who isn't her true friend. You might be doing her a favor by dumping her.

apollothor
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Every time I had an interview I did a dry run, meaning that I drove there a few days before at the interview  at the same hour so that I could get a true idea of the traffic and the real travel time. This will help you relax. If you hate the drive you will have to get over it if you want the job.

Qzx
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM
2 moms liked this
"Do me a favor or I won't be your friend anymore"?
Maybe she's better off.
I get that if she didn't want to go she should have said no to begin with but she's not allowed to change her mind? Maybe she couldn't keep her excuses straight because she didn't want to tell you she just didn't feel like going.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Like PP's stated, how do you plan on wokring there if you can't even drive yourself to the interview?

hautemama83
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:53 AM
If this makes or breaks a friendship for you, she's clearly better off. Sack up & drive yourself.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)