Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was this the right advice for my 4 year old?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM
  • 192 Replies

I've never done this before. He is my first and only child. He has moderate autism and when he gets overstimulated, he talks nonstop. Not yelling or screaming, just incessant talking.  He's in special Ed, so you think his classmates would be a little more understanding.  My son is also extremely sensitive. He came home from his first day of school in tears because a "pretty girl" in his class kept telling him to be quiet because he was taking too much.

i know this isn't a big deal and that'd perfectly nice of her to say.  However I just told my son that the next time someone tells him to be quiet and his teacher doesn't mind him talking to just calmly say "mind your own business"

i don't think this is mean. Did I do the right thing?

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theTosh.O
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:10 AM

BUMP!

TheDrsRose
by Bad♥Wolf on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:12 AM
2 moms liked this

He should say that ignore her and if she keeps it up,he should tell the teacher. Or maybe ask him to be moved.

CafeMom Tickers
SendMeBabyDust
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I've dealt with this before . It's not mean, but you also have to teach your son everyone is not as talkative as he is . I bet he's a sweetheart .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:15 AM
19 moms liked this
I'm sorry but maybe he was disturbing her when she was trying to pay attention to the class. If she wasn't rude about it, then why would you teach your son to be rude to her.
theTosh.O
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, although I love him, it is really INCESSANT. Since it is a special Ed class maybe she has some kind of problem with noise. I don't want him to be known as a tattletale or a troublemaker. I thought if he just said to mind your own business and then walked away, it would stop. Was I wrong?

Quoting TheDrsRose:

He should say that ignore her and if she keeps it up,he should tell the teacher. Or maybe ask him to be moved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:17 AM
3 moms liked this

Teaching your son to be rude is never a great idea. If the teacher doesn't mind him talking, tell him to go find another classmate who wants to chat. Tell him that maybe that girl didn't feel like talking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Part of being in school is teaching kids to be sociable. If he does all the talking then nobody else can get a word in.

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:18 AM
5 moms liked this

So you can't see how constant talking in a classroom setting would be...oh, um...annoying?

TheDrsRose
by Bad♥Wolf on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Well,was he talking to her or some one else? If he was talking to some one else then she has no business telling him to be quiet. Either he can move with the person he is talking to or she can move... One of those,whoever was there first deals.. And if it persists,talk to the teacher.. The first few days set the stage for the whole year.. :\

Quoting theTosh.O:

Well, although I love him, it is really INCESSANT. Since it is a special Ed class maybe she has some kind of problem with noise. I don't want him to be known as a tattletale or a troublemaker. I thought if he just said to mind your own business and then walked away, it would stop. Was I wrong?

Quoting TheDrsRose:

CafeMom Tickers
theTosh.O
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Quoting SendMeBabyDust: I've dealt with this before . It's not mean, but you also have to teach your son everyone is not as talkative as he is . I bet he's a sweetheart .

He is. I don't want him to be mean to the girl, but is think she should mind her own business, lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN