Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

But they pay so little! :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
So I was really interested in teaching in general but I was actually thinking about special education (My son has special needs)

I talked to a couple of my friends that just started and one makes $35,000 and the other $40,000 .. That just seems so low for a bachelors and possibly masters degree. I know they have the potential to make more over time.

My friend that gets $35,000 said she gets paid every other week so she gets paycheck a in the summer. She said she gets anyway between low 800 to just over 1000 a paycheck

So if she gets 800 every 2 weeks that's 400 a week, for 40 hours that's 10 an hour?!

That is crazy!! I really want to do teaching but I don't know if I'm comfortable with that pay! I have kids at home, I work part time now and go to school ... And honestly if I worked full time now I'd make that without a degree!!

Teachers help!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
That's the national average... teaching is not big money. Most go into to teaching for the love of it, not the money :/ sorry
Smh77
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:32 AM
This is one of the biggest problems with the American education system!
We want the best, but want it for nothing. The only upside to it is, you decide that pay over 9 months, not 12. Bumps it up a bit.... But still not right!
missymackie
by Hey Brother on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep, they expect so much out of teachers now a days what with getting masters degrees, they take on so much debt and get paid shit :(
An0nym0use
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
You don't go into teaching for the money. You go into it for the passion to make a change.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Teachers usually have awesome benefits though. And get pretty routine pay raises if they are in a good district. $35-40k is a pretty normal starting point for a bachelors. I made $36k my first year out with an accounting degree.
1taximomhere
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Teachers in our area also get good retirement.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Oh I understand but still, mommas got bills! Lol

Quoting An0nym0use: You don't go into teaching for the money. You go into it for the passion to make a change.
mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
But you have to remember they are getting paid also when school is out.
Kermitthemom23
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Yep
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
You know they take money from the checks they get during the school year and that's how they get paid. It's not like they are getting extra money for not working. Most teachers I know also work a second job in the summer

Quoting mrswillie: But you have to remember they are getting paid also when school is out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)