Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh, you don't like how I coach?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
Then volunteer to help! I love parents who sit back and just talk shit without offering any productive "solutions". The coach this squad had last year spent most of the practice time gabbing with league board members and playing on her phone, so I volunteered this year and apparently I'm no better -.-

One mom is pissed because the kids are standing there, not cheering. Lady, the kids are standing there because we're waiting for YOUR kid to follow directions. Yep, YOURS. Maybe a few others, but mostly, it's your kid.

Another is mad because there's one coach at the front of the girls and the rest of us are walking around. Um, yes, there's one coach teaching the cheers, positions, motions and stretches, while the others walk around the girls correcting their form and keeping them on task.

We have 23 girls, ranging in ages from 4-7, many of them have never cheered, and it's the second week of practice. I think we're doing pretty freakin awesome considering.

Oh, and yes, I will make your child run a lap or two if they will not pay attention and follow directions, especially if we're stunting. Deal with it or pull 'em out.

No wonder volunteers are hard to come by for this squad!
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Yeah, I got that bs too when I coached soccer. Most parents were ok, but you had a few who thought they knew everything. I wonder if they even understand what the word volunteer means, as in, I am donating my time and not recieving a dime for it.

catcameback
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:03 AM

My BIL is a kid's hockey coach in a paying position, it's not much better for him.  Every year it's the same parents, they may be in different bodies but they are still the same pain in the asses lol.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Yep. This is exactly why dh refuses to coach. Loves the kids but hates the parents.
UxorQuodMatris.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Right?!
They even talk crap about the 14 year old high school freshman who helps. She's a child FFS!

Quoting two4one:

Yeah, I got that bs too when I coached soccer. Most parents were ok, but you had a few who thought they knew everything. I wonder if they even understand what the word volunteer means, as in, I am donating my time and not recieving a dime for it.

UxorQuodMatris.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:06 AM
I won't be coaching next year. My girls are bummed, but I'm not dealing with these parents again.
I'll do fundraising again, but not this.

Quoting MrsDavidB25: Yep. This is exactly why dh refuses to coach. Loves the kids but hates the parents.
UxorQuodMatris.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM
What's funny is they aren't saying this to my face, they're talking amongst themselves but don't realize they're sitting right next to my husband.

Quoting catcameback:

My BIL is a kid's hockey coach in a paying position, it's not much better for him.  Every year it's the same parents, they may be in different bodies but they are still the same pain in the asses lol.

catcameback
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:14 AM

haha, yup! Bitchy sports moms must be universal.  They do the same to my BIL.  He was my nephew's coach twice, so I'd go to the games he was coaching (to see nephew play).  I'd be sitting in the stands and the ladies would gossip about him and criticize his coaching.  

Once a lady asked me what kid I was there for after talking shit about the coach to me, I told her my nephew's jersey #.  She did a slow dawning and said "oh that's the coach's son.... Oh."  The look on her face was priceless.

The thing is, my BIL is a good coach.  But he has a bunch of kids to teach and only 1 volunteer assistant.  So he doesn't have time to stop and explain everything to the parents.  Plus, hockey moms and dads are so damn competitive it's ridiculous.  They think their little johnny with be the next Gretzky, when really they should be focusing on building self esteem and sportsmanship.  The arenas even have warning signs to parents in the stands to not fight, name call or interfere in the game. 

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.: What's funny is they aren't saying this to my face, they're talking amongst themselves but don't realize they're sitting right next to my husband.
Quoting catcameback:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

gotta love it. we get the same thing . we coach kids, adults for our area special olympics. i broke my ankle one year, was sitting on the sides, listening to some parents, then some of the workers from the group homes. after a while i turned around, told them that if they didn't think we were doing a good job then they need to get off their butts and help out.

erin708
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Parents are ridiculous. Eventually there will be no sports.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM
I'm only really offended by your body odors.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)