Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this seriously anger you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

My daughter has a really good friend.  They are low income.  When I took my dd school clothes shopping the little girl asked if she could go.  We asked her mom and she said yes.  I ended up buying the little girl 2 t-shirts.  One matched my dd's shirt and said best friends.  The other was one that the little girl freaked out over. 

She went home with them and her mom was on the phone with me minutes later yelling.  She stated she can buy kids clothes without my help. 

It wasn't even about that.  I would have bought the girl the same exact things had her family been wealthy and I took her with me.

Is her mom just uber defensive?  Should I just brush it off and never buy this child anything again?  Her mom made her give the shirts back and explain that she is not allowed to take hand outs.

I am not angry...just confused by her anger.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this
She was probably embarrassed and took it out on you.
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Quoting Danesmommy1: She was probably embarrassed and took it out on you.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Why not explain to the mother like you explained it to us? 

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I would brush it off...I would also explain myself to that mom though...even if she is unresonable.

nelliesmommy
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I agree with the first poster.
TheCupcakeMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Years ago, I was a single mom and ends were TIGHT. And I got offensive about that stuff too, I get where you were coming from and it's awful that we think this way BUT when I was in the position to not afford alot I had a pride in being able to take care of my kid and I took it offensively when peope bought her things bc it felt like they were saying I couldn't do it. She was probably embarrassed and took it out on her. I would go back and explain yourself and say you would have done it for anyone. 

julie515
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM
It was the mom's thing. I would save the shirts and wait until the mom cooled off. Then bring them by and explain that I meant nothing by them. They really were just a gift for my child's best friend just because. Then let the mom decide what to do with them after you left.
scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM

No it would not anger me. A few years ago my daughter had a sleep over with a friend. They had planned on going to a movie but the theater was closed due to a power outage, so the mom took them to the mall instead. The mother bought her daughter and mine a dress that was on sale. I was not offended. This summer my daughter was with a friend and they went to the mall and my daughter bought her friend some things that were on sale. Her mother was not offended. I don't see it any different than buying lunch or a movie.

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM
I would have been grateful, but she's probably embarrassed. She shouldn't have taken it out on you like that though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Why not explain to the mother like you explained it to us? 

I explained it exactly that way.  That it wouldn't have mattered who I had brought with me.  I didn't buy the shirts because I didn't think they couldn't.  I bought them because the little girl was with me.  It could have been a Kardashian kid and I would have done the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)