Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not believing this - ODD really?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies

Ok a little back story.

My boys have played Pop Warner Football for 3 years. I have been the Team Mom for all of their sports (baseball, basketball and football), since they were 5 - they are 9. I have heard all of the complaints and field lots of the "minor issues" for the coaches from the parents.

This is a NEW ONE FOR ME - bash me if you must - but I'm not believing what I'm hearing from this one mother.

Her son is 7. He's new to the football program. He's little, and according to her has a lot of disabilities, one of them being Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Oh, and he has ADHD. Last night, as I'm getting paperwork together for the coach, the mother of this little guy walks up to me UPSET and CRYING. She said, "I need the head of the football league, RIGHT NOW!" I told her he's not around right now and he should be making rounds to all the teams later on - how could I help her. She told me that HER SON has told her that the "kids are being mean to him - hitting him, excluding him" and NOW the coach just told HER SON to sit out. Just about that time she tells me, "He has DOCUMENTED DISABILITIES - mainly ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder - and this coach is not catering to her son and his "special needs".

First let me tell you that these "Coaches" are VOLUNTEERS - they get all of the grief and bullshit for not catering to everyone - but they are NOT PROFESSIONALY TRAINED to handle kids like this OR to be a GLORIFIED BABYSITTER.

Her son, all 46 pounds, comes running over crying as we are talking. So she starts yelling at him to get back at practice. I said, hold up, let me talk to him. So I took him over quietly and got down on his level and asked him what was going on. (One of my boys is on his team and the older kids KNOW who I am - so I decided to try and talk to him) He wouldn't look me in the eye and inaudibly answered my questions which were:

1. What's going on Buddy? his response: "The kids are being mean to me and hitting me?"

2. What do you mean they are hitting you? his response "In pads we have to stand in line and they push me around. I don't like it."

3. You mean in drills? his response: "Yes, and they stepped on my hand"

I told the little guy football is scary and this is how football is played. HIS RESPONSE: I DON'T WANT TO PLAY THEN.

I took him back over to his mother and said she had TWO OPTIONS

1. Force her kid to play something he didn't want to play OR 2. Find another sport that didn't require her son to have to listen to the coaches and get pushed around.

The kids weren't hurting him on PURPOSE - he's just too little to "understand the logistics of football"

She got irrate with me. WHO AM I to tell her that her son with DOCUMENTED DISABILITIES can't play football. To which she again pointed out he has ADHD and ODD. Mind you I never said he COULDN'T PLAY football - I said he's NOT READY.

Now, I'm all for going to the doctor when you're sick, but GOD ALMIGHTY, this ODD shit is for the birds. I have heard a lot of sad stories in the last 10 years. But honestly, the kid isn't DEFIANT - he isn't READY. I've been reading all kinds of articles today regarding ODD - and I call BULLSHIT - maybe there are "some cases" that are needed to be medically interveined. But for a mother to throw around that HER KID has a disability and needs to be treated with bubble wrap care and let to have his run of the field - is beyond me.

I told her her options, all she did was ARGUE with me, and THAT MY FRIENDS is why her kid has "documented disabilities"  - because she wants attention and isn't at the football field for HIM - she's up there for attention.

THE END

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Bless. Those moms...ugh. It's football, of course they're going to be hitting. It's a contact sport.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

sounds like that mom just likes to throw the word disability around, ODD has jack shit to do with the behaviors you described

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM
6 moms liked this
ODD = Inadequate parents, with an asshole child, that is running shit
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Where is your medical degree from?

Quoting Anonymous: ODD = Inadequate parents, with an asshole child, that is running shit
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM
I don't believe this story for a second. Fyi, ODD is very real. You have no cluclue wtf you are talking about. I don't give a fuck how many articles you've read .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM
A Cracker Jack box.....

Quoting Anonymous: Where is your medical degree from?

Quoting Anonymous: ODD = Inadequate parents, with an asshole child, that is running shit
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Clearly.

Quoting Anonymous: A Cracker Jack box.....

Quoting Anonymous: Where is your medical degree from?

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Soccer field last night...there is a snowflake on another team. I don't know if she has any type of SN because she LOOKS ok but mentally, she's a little short there. She likes to talk about inappropruiate things at inappropriate times. Like how she might have to poop soon because she ate cereal or how she should have used more deordorant or is it ok to put deodorant on your butt because it gets sweaty.

I quit coaching 6 years ago because of jerky parents. I just took a spot as uniform coordinator. I hope I don't regret it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Where did you get your degree at?

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM
This...

Quoting Anonymous: I don't believe this story for a second. Fyi, ODD is very real. You have no cluclue wtf you are talking about. I don't give a fuck how many articles you've read .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)