Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really hate nicknames

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 74 Replies
I can not stand nicknames. My little brother is Gregory my dad called him little Greg but I refused and have always called him Gregory. My ds is named Damien I picked it for one because there is no nickname to it. I'm pregnant with a little girl and was going to name her Sophia again because there is no nickname for it but instead dh's family kept calling her Sophie which really pissed me off because for one I don't like it and two or is a completely different name. Well now we have changed it to liliana which does have a nickname of lily unfortunately. I was talking to sil the other day and told her off the name change and she basically outright said she wasn't going to call my daughter by her name. Ugh idk what to do
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peace.Love.Pink
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM
5 moms liked this
Really? This is your problem today?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
First world problems.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I don't have a nickname but I've always wanted one. What kind of nickname can you make for Sara?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
You really have way too much time on your hand.
CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't matter what you do, people will find a way to create a nickname. I don't call DD by any nickname, but others do. Is it my preference? No, but she doesn't mind it so it's fine with me.

Have you ever considered the fact that you making such a big deal out of it may also encourage them to use nicknames simply to anger you? Let this go.

mysticatgal
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Hopefully you find a name. I prefer nicknames. I've never been called Jennifer and even at my wedding insisted that everything had Jenny.
hautemama83
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
You get over it...
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Lol!
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM

None of my kids have names that can be shortened and thankfully nobody has ever called them anything other than their names.  I also HATE nicknames. 

I will say though Sophie is a nickname for Sophia and Lily is most definitely a nickname for Liliana.  So you picked two names that most definitely have nicknames. 

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Dont worry about it. In the end your child will decide what they want to be calls. For all you know she will grow up and only be called lily. Pick a name you like and call her it. Dont worry about what other people do.

MIL had a nick name for DS that was completely different then his actual name. I wasn't a fan, but DS grew to love it. It became their little thing between each other. She has since passed away. DS still talks about how she used to call him that name and he is so happy when he talks about it. I would never want to take away that special thing they had over something so petty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)